(One Faculty Award and One Staff Award)
The awards for Faculty and Staff Excellence in Advising recognize faculty and staff of Georgia Southwestern State University that have demonstrated the qualities associated with outstanding student advising at the undergraduate and/or graduate level. A staff nominee must be involved in the direct delivery of advising services as part of his/her job responsibilities to Georgia Southwestern.
Successful recipients will demonstrate advising qualities and practices that distinguish the nominee as an outstanding advisor.
Such evidence may include, but is not necessarily limited to, the following:
- A caring attitude toward students
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Monitoring of student progress toward academic and life goals
- Mastery of institutional regulations, policies and procedures
- Ability to engage in developmental advising (career and life planning)
- Behavior designed to build a strong relationship with students
- Availability and frequent contact to students
- Seeking out students in informal settings
- Use of appropriate referrals
- Attendance and support of advisors’ developmental programs
- Perception by colleagues of nominee’s advising skills
- Enhancing programs for the direct benefit of students
Nominations for staff may include all areas where advising is critical, such as financial aid, counseling, and other support areas. Nominations will be reviewed by the Advising Subcommittee of the Committee on Academic Affairs.
All nominations should be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.