GIL-Find is an easy-to-use interface for GSW’s online catalog. This catalog is made up of descriptive records of all the materials available at James Earl Carter Library. These materials include books, videos, musical scores, government documents, and print journals. Each GIL-Find record represents one item and provides detailed information about the record, such as the author, title, subject headings, and the call number for the item. GIL-Find is available online and no password is needed to search James Earl Carter Library’s catalog.
To obtain a PIN for your library account, go to GIL-Find@GSW. Enter your GSW ID and your last name and click on Get My Pin. Your PIN will be emailed to your GSW email account.
For more information about GIL-Find, go to Using GIL-Find.
If you have any questions about using GIL-Find, please contact Access Services at 229-931-2266 or email@example.com.
GIL Express is a service being offered at all libraries within the University System of Georgia (USG). The service is an innovative resource sharing initiative that allows students, faculty, and staff access to all eligible circulating material at all USG libraries. All GIL Express material has a 28-day loan period for all patrons. Two online renewals are allowed unless the material has been recalled.
To use GIL Express follow these steps:
- Conduct a search in the Universal Catalog.
- Click on the desired title to see a display of the item record and check its Status to determine if it is checked out, lost, or otherwise unavailable for loan. If it’s available at one or more libraries, click on GIL Express Request.
- Select your Home Institution from the drop-down menu, enter your Georgia Southwestern State University ID and PIN, enter your last name, and click on Login.
- At the next screen, click on OK to choose GIL Express Request .
- At the next screen, enter your GSW ID in the requested field, choose a Pick-Up Library, and click on Submit Request.
- You should see the message Your GIL Express Request Was Successful. The notification that the request was successful means that the request itself went through successfully, but does not guarantee the item will be sent. In most cases the book will be supplied, but on rare occasions it will not. To be sure the request was accepted, you may wish to click on My Account and review the information displayed.
- Occasionally a request will fail. If the item is available at the patron’s home library the request will fail; if the item is checked out, missing, etc, or otherwise not available for checkout; if the item is a reference book, archival item, or otherwise is not supposed to circulate; or if the borrower is blocked because he or she has overdue books, the request will fail.
If you have any problems placing a GIL-Express request, please contact Access Services at 229-931-2266 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
GALILEO stands for GeorgiA LIbrary LEarning Online, an initiative of the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia. The Board of Regents provides funding for subscriptions to databases indexing thousands of periodicals and scholarly journals, with more than 2,000 journal titles provided in full-text. Other resources include films, encyclopedias, business directories, and government publications.
For more information about using GALILEO, go to What is GALILEO?
Electronic resources that the James Earl Carter Library subscribes to directly can be accessed from off-campus by current GSW faculty, staff, and students. These resources include JSTOR, ARTstor, and individual e-journals. In order to access these resources off-campus, you will be asked to login using your CanesNet credentials. This is the same username and password you use to login to any campus computer.
Accessing JSTOR and ARTstor from Off-Campus:
You must access JSTOR and ARTstor through GALILEO in order to get off-campus access. When you click on the JSTOR or ARTstor link in GALILEO you will be taken to a login page where you will enter your CanesNet username and password.
Accessing individual e-journal content from Off-Campus:
Individual e-journals can be accessed by using the link provided in GIL-Find for each e-journal. When you click on the access link you will be taken to a login page where you will enter your CanesNet username and password.
Library staff can provide assistance during regular operating hours.
Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
Interlibrary Loan is an international agreement and service between all types of libraries, whereby a library can borrow an item or get a photocopy from a journal that it does not own. This is a library-to-library service. You tell us what you need and we make the request to owning libraries. They, in turn, trust us to return the item to them on time and in good condition.
GSW provides ILL services for currently enrolled students, current and retired faculty, and current staff. People not meeting this criterion should contact either the school they attend or their local public library for interlibrary loan service. As an academic ILL department, our mission is to secure materials to support teaching and research. The ILL service is not for requesting current edition textbooks used in a class.
ILL requests may be submitted by using ILLiad.
It is suggested that students who cannot come to campus to pick up books should utilize the GIL Express service and have books delivered to a nearby USG campus.
If you have any questions or need assistance with ILL, please contact the ILL office at 229-931-2133 or email@example.com.
Librarians are available to help you whenever James Earl Carter Library is open. Please feel free to contact us by email, telephone, or fax.
229-931-2850 (Reference Librarian/Government Information Coordinator)
229-931-2259 (Main Number)
229-931-2265 (Fax Number)
Patrons can renew checked out items online through their library account, over the phone by calling the Circulation Desk, or via email.
229-931-2266 (Circulation Desk)
Users can perform the following functions via their Library Account:
- Get the GALILEO password
- View the list of items you have checked out
- Renew materials
- Make requests
- Check the status of requested materials
To login to your GIL-Find account, go to GIL-Find@GSW. Enter your GSW ID, last name and Library PIN and click on Login.
If you do not have a Library PIN, enter your GSW ID and your last name and click on Get My Pin. Your PIN will be emailed to your GSW email account.
Getting the GALILEO Password
The GALILEO password changes every semester. Current GSW students, faculty and staff may get the current GALILEO password via their GIL-Find account.
Once logged into your account, click on Your Profile/GALILEO Password on the right. The current GALILEO password will be displayed below your profile information.