Services include but are not limited to:
- Respiratory illnesses/infections
- Gastrointestinal complaints
- Urinary tract infections /complaints
- Dermatological issues
- STD testing and treatment
- Musculoskeletal issues
- Minor Burns
- Rashes and bites
Medications and Supplies
- First Aid and Supplies
- TB Skin Tests
- Tetanus and Diphtheria Toxoid Injections
- Flu Vaccine
- Health Related Resource Materials
- Limited Lab Work
- Treatment by College Physician and Nurse Practitioners
- Over-the-Counter Medications (for colds, headaches etc.) are available.
- Crutches and Heating Pads are available and are temporarily loaned.
Women’s and Men’s Health Clinic
The Women’s and Men’s Health Clinic is opened on Thursdays each week. Students must call in advance to schedule an appointment.
- Breast examination
- General health screening
- Pelvic examination
- Pap smear
- STD check
Sexuality or birth control consultation
- Start prescription birth control method
- Refills of birth control pills
- Counselling regarding STDs and birth control methods
- Emergency contraception (Morning After Pill)
- Depo-Provera contraception
- Pre-conception counselling
- Pregnancy testing/counselling
- Exploring Pregnancy Options
- Diet & Nutrition Counselling
- HIV/AIDS Counselling (and testing)
- STD Counselling
- Sexuality concerns and questions
- Safer sex information
- Nursing Assessment
- Monitoring Hypertension
- Immunization Evaluation & Consultation
- Health Related Programs for Student Groups
The Health Center staff will assist students in making appointments with dentists or medical specialists. The cost for such medical services is the financial responsibility of the student.
A confidential health record is created for each patient upon completion and return of a medical history form to Georgia Southwestern State University. Health information cannot be released without the patient's written consent unless mandated by law. (If the student is under 18 years of age, the parent(s) or legal guardian(s) must sign a consent for treatment form which is kept in the health record file). Medical and mental health records are not included in the general University record system. Medical records are maintained in compliance with Georgia state laws and are destroyed in a confidential manner.
Copies of medical records and immunization records may be obtained by completing the "Consent for Authorization for Use/Disclosure" form. There is a $1.00 per page fee payable to Health Center or online payment.
Immunizations Required by the University System of Georgia
- Hepatitis B: Hepatitis B is required for students 18 years of age and younger.
- Meningitis or Waiver is required for all students who reside in the residence halls