The browser you are using is out of date and may not support all of the features of this website. Please update your browser to a modern browser that supports HTML5.
All users and units have the responsibility to report any discovered unauthorized access attempts or other improper usage of Georgia Southwestern State University computers, networks, or other information processing equipment. If a user observes, or has reported (other than as in 7.1 above), a security or abuse problem with any university computer or network facility, including violations of this policy, the user should contact IIT immediately at 931-2074 or by email: email@example.com
-- from the GSW Computer and Network Acceptable Use Policy, section 7.2
Students must register each semester to receive emergency messages from GSW. Please follow the instructions below to sign up for emergency notifications.
Login to RAIN and Choose Personal Information
Choose GSW Connect-ED Emergency Notification System
Enter the phone numbers where you wish to get the alerts. You can also add a number to receive text message alerts. Check the box stating that the numbers are correct and click Submit Campus Alert Number.
Georgia Southwestern State University is home to GSW-TV providing community service to Americus, GA via the city's government access TV channel. GSW also utilizes the video production equipment to support the various production needs of the campus community. The IIT Department operates the studio, editing facility and mobile production unit. GSW-TV emphasizes its commitment to the power of education by producing local programming, showcasing the individuals that make up Georgia Southwestern, as well as the entire Sumter County Community.
|Kids Under Construction
Profiles the faculty, staff, students and achievements of the Sumter County Public School System.
Profiles the faculty at Georgia Southwestern State University.
|GSW Alumni Experience
Profiles the alumni of Georgia Southwestern State University.
GSW's Office Information and Instructional Technology offers video and audio production facilities for its faculty, staff and students. It features nonlinear editing suites, a broadcast television studio, and various field production camera packages. IIT also offers audio, video, CD, and DVD duplication to its constituents for a fee. Contact 229-931-2074 if you have any questions or require our services.
GSW-TV can be seen on Mediacom Cable channel 16 in Americus, GA
- GSW Convocation: Celebrating Our Cultural Identities - Stories from Malawi - 11/4/15
- GSW 2015 POW/MIA Convocation featuring Rhonda Cornum - 9/16/15
- GSW Spring 2015 Graduation and Honors Convocation - 5/1/15
- Griffin Bell Distinguished Lecture Series: Dr. Greg Hampikian, DNA expert - 4/15/15
- GSW 2015 M.L.K. Jr. Convocation - 1/21/15
- GSW Fall 2014 Graduation and Honors Convocation - 12/5/14
- GSW President's Convocation: "A Great African Mystery": Dr. Phillips Stevens - 10/22/14
- GSW 2014 POW/MIA Convocation featuring Wayne Waddell - 9/17/14
- GSW Spring 2014 Graduation and Honors Convocation - 5/2/14
- GSW 2014 M.L.K. Jr. Convocation - 1/22/14
- Alcohol Abuse Convocation - 10/23/13
- GSW 2013 POW/MIA Convocation featuring William K. Norwood - 9/18/13
- GSW 2013 Academic Honors Convocation - 4/23/13
- Griffin Bell Distinguished Lecture Series: Lauren Groff, author - 2/13/13
- GSW Convocation: Seaborn Jones, poet - 2/6/13
- GSW 2013 M.L.K. Jr. Convocation - 1/16/13
- GSW Convocation: Dr. John Neuenschwander: Oral History in the 21st Century - 11/15/12
- GSW Convocation: RCI Korea - 10/24/12
- GSW 2012 POW/MIA Convocation featuring Bill Arcuri, Ret USAF, former POW, Vietnam - 9/19/12
- GSW 2012 Academic Honors Convocation - 4/10/12
- Griffin Bell Distinguished Lecture Series: Rebecca Costa - 2/22/12
GSW Third World in Perspective Seminars
- The U.S. and the Middle East - 4/14/15
- Crisis in Ukraine: Causes and Implications - 2/18/15
- Experiences of GSW Students in Bulgaria - 9/25/14
- Panama in the Post-World War II Era: Changes in United States - Panamanian Relations - 4/9/14
- Using Community Theater to Improve Diabetes Education & Prevention in the South Pacific - 9/18/13
- The American War in Vietnam - 4/10/13
- Experiences of GSW Students in Bulgaria - 9/5/12
- Experiences in China - 3/14/12
- Major Developments in Contemporary Indonesia - 1/24/12
- Major Developments in Africa and South Asia - 10/10/11
- The Challenge from China - 3/16/11
- U.S. Influence in Southeast Asia - 1/26/11
- The Water Crisis: Issues Confronting the Global Community - 9/15/10
- U.S. Policy Toward Pakistan and Afghanistan - 3/24/10
- Major Historical & Contemporary Developments in Ghana - 2/10/10
- Nature and Impact of Third World Diseases - 1/27/10
- Major Developments in Contemporary Turkey - 10/7/09
- A Bulgaria Travelogue: GSW students discuss their travels abroad - 9/16/09
GSW Department of Music Concerts
- GSW 2015 Fall Concert - 11/12/15
- GSW Senior Recital: Daina Rosario - 4/9/15
- GSW 2014 Fall Concert - 11/13/14
- GSW Senior Recital: Essence Williams - 4/24/14
- GSW 2014 Spring Concert - 4/22/14
- GSW Senior Recital: Kristin Pair - 12/5/13
- GSW Senior Recital: Mark Watford - 11/11/13
- GSW 2013 Fall Concert - 11/7/13
- GSW Junior Recital: Lenard Martin - 10/28/13
- David Osborne (pianist) in Concert Honoring President Jimmy Carter's 89th Birthday - 10/5/13
- GSW Junior Recital: Yun Ma - 4/24/13
- GSW 2013 Spring Band Concert - 4/18/13
- GSW Senior Recital: Deborah Beckler - 4/15/13
- GSW's 2013 Spring Choral Concert - 4/11/13
- GSW Senior Recital: Mark Watford - 3/7/13
- GSW's Chinese visiting scholar, Zidong Wang - 2/20/13
- GSW 2012 Holiday Concert - 11/29/12
- GSW Senior Recital: Jonathan Dean - 11/7/12
- GSW 2012 Fall Concert - 10/23/12
- GSW 2012 Faculty & Friends Recital - 10/2/12
- GSW 2012 Spring Band Concert - 4/19/12
- GSW 2012 Spring Choral Concert - 4/12/12
- GSW Junior Recital: Deborah Beckler - 3/13/12
- GSW Junior Recital: Lenard Martin - 3/7/12
GSW Women's Studies Speaker Series
- Women of the Southwest Georgia Civil Rights Movement - 3/11/15
- Women in Science - 11/19/14
- Vagina Monologues: A Memory, A Monologue, A Rant and a Prayer - 4/19/14
- Young Women Changing the World: Gender, Youth & Civil Rights in Sumter County, GA - 3/26/14
- Women and Blacks and Queers, Oh My - 10/16/13
- "Race, Gender, and Sexuality in Civil Rights Politics" and "Margaret Garner’s Literary Legacy" - 3/27/13
- Women In Politics - 3/8/12
- A Delicate Condition: Women and Medicine - 10/19/11
- Images of Women - 3/14/11
- Women in early Christianity and Islam - 11/9/10
African American Male Institute
- GSW AAMI presents "A New Beginning" Andrew Robinson - 9/1/15
- GSW AAMI presents "A History to Remember" Antonio Walden - 2/5/15
- GSW AAMI presents "Making the Necessary Decisions to Graduate" Len Hicks - 11/18/14
- GSW's AAMI presents Lemond Hall, GSW Alumnus - 9/2/14
- GSW's AAMI presents James Brown, GSW Alumnus - 2/27/14
- GSW's AAMI presents Dr. Marcus Jackson, GSW Alum & Principal of Kendrick Middle School - 2/14/13
GSW Commencement Exercises
- Dr. YeVette McWhorter: Professor of Education and Director of GSW's Pre-K program - 3/27/13
- David Hunter: Assistant Professor of Education - 11/13/12
- Dr. Peggy Ellington: Associate Professor of English & Modern Languages - 1/12/12
- Dr. Jamie MacLennan: Assistant Professor of Sociology - 11/17/11
- Dr. Philip Szmedra: Professor of Economics - 10/26/11
- Dr. Mark Laughlin: Assistant Professor of Music - 10/19/11
- Dr. Andy Bosak: Assistant Professor of Health & Human Performance - 9/28/11
- Susan Bragg: Assistant Professor of History - 9/14/11
- Dr. Charles Huffman: Associate Professor of Psychology and Sociology - 11/3/10
- Dr. Elizabeth Kuipers: Associate Professor of English & Modern Languages - 10/6/10
- Dr. David J. Berggren: Assistant Professor of History & Political Science - 3/19/10
- Dr. Sam Peavy: Associate Professor of Geology - 1/27/10
- Dr. Judith Spann: Professor of Special Education - 10/28/09
- Dr. Randall Valentine: Assistant Professor of Finance - 10/14/09
- Dr. Marlene Allen: Assistant Professor of English - 9/30/09
- Dr. Leisa Easom: Associate Professor of Nursing & Eminent Scholar - 9/16/09
- Dr. Gary Fisk: Associate Professor of Psychology & Sociology - 9/2/09
GSW Alumni Experience
Sumter County School's "Kids Under Construction"
- Americus Sumter County High School North Campus - 5/4/15
- Sumter County Primary School - 4/6/15
- Sumter County Middle School - 3/23/15
- Sarah Cobb Elementary School - 2/9/15
- Staley Middle School - 1/26/15
- Sumter County Elementary School - 11/17/14
- Americus Sumter County High School South Campus - 10/6/14
Sumter County School's "LEARN"
Misc. Campus and Community Programming
Hurricane Watch (GSW's Student Television Production organization)
- GSW Student Government Association Presidential Candidate, Lea McQueen - 4/9/15
- GSW Student Government Association Presidential Candidate, Johnathan Simmons - 4/1/15
- THE WATCH: The Pres House - 3/25/15
- THE WATCH: The Student Athletic Advisory Committee - 3/24/15
- Chrome Dome: An Experience of Going Bald - 3/6/15
- "Anything Goes" Promo - 2/26/15
- "A Test of Metal" - 11/1/14
GSW does not repair personally-owned computing equipment. Contact a local vendor for services on non-state-owned equipment.
It is our goal to complete a request for technical support within 24 hours. However, since it is not always feasible to do so, we will provide an estimated date for completion of requests that require more time.
This document establishes a standard for password creation and protection in order to mitigate compromise of sensitive or confidential information.
This security standard applies to all users (employees, contractors, vendors, and other parties) of Georgia Southwestern State University technology systems.
All passwords shall be constructed with the following characteristics:
All system-level passwords (e.g., root, enable, Windows admin, application administration accounts, etc.) shall be changed every 90 days. All user- level passwords (e.g., email, web, desktop computer, etc.) shall be changed every 180 days.
Temporary or “first-use” passwords may violate the above requirements, but must be changed by the user upon first logon.
Administrators are given authority to determine security of passwords that violate the above requirements if other measures are put in place, such as account lockout or password history.
All passwords should be treated as confidential information, and should not be shared with anyone, including but not limited to administrative assistants, system administrators, and helpdesk personnel.
Passwords shall not be stored in clear text. Cryptography shall be used when storing password information. Passwords shall not be inserted into email messages or other forms of electronic communication unless encrypted.
User accounts that have system-level privileges granted through group memberships or programs shall have a unique password from other accounts held by that user.
If an account or password is suspected of being compromised, the incident must be reported to the appropriate access administrator or in accordance with local incident response procedures.