The browser you are using is out of date and may not support all of the features of this website. Please update your browser to a modern browser that supports HTML5.
The Traditional Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) is for students with no nursing licensure who want to become graduate nurses.
The educational program is built on a strong foundation of general studies that includes mathematics, sciences, language arts, social sciences, as well as current nursing practice.
Nursing students train in a wide variety of clinical settings-including hospitals, outpatient and community clinics, treatment centers and long-term care facilities- and work with patient populations diverse in age, gender, ethnicity, health status, socioeconomic background, and geographic distribution. Graduates of the program will be prepared to practice in a wide variety of health care settings.
The Nursing program has full approval of the Georgia Board of Nursing (237 Coliseum Drive, Macon, GA 31217-3858; 478-207-1300 or 1640.) The program is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc., (3343 Peachtree Road, NE, Suite 850, Atlanta, GA 30326, 404-975-5000.)
The first step is to apply to GSW as Traditional Nursing Track and be accepted by the university. Please see the Office of Admissions for more information.
Upon acceptance to GSW, students are first enrolled as Pre-Nursing students. This allows the student to satisfy the Core curriculum requirements in the first two years of study. Application to the School of Nursing Traditional program should occur during the last semester of the second year of full-time study at the University. Advisors for Pre-Nursing students are faculty of the SON giving the student guidance to follow their Model Plan of Study through to graduation.
Students planning to apply for the summer admission cycle should have all their core curriculum requirements completed spring semester. Maymester classes will no longer be possible for summer entry as all nursing classes summer 2015 will run from May 11th to July 23rd.
- Attain admission in good standing to the University.
- Return the completed application and required supporting documents to the School of Nursing by the published deadlines.
- Complete all general education/ core curriculum courses. Once enrolled at GSW students must complete all science courses at GSW.
- Must lack no more than a three hour elective in Area F.
- Must have a grade of “C” or higher in Area A, Area D, and Area F.
- Area F sciences must be completed within 5 years of projected admission. Testing is required for those applicants who completed these courses five years ago or longer. Remediation may be required.
- Earned a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0/4.0. Admission is competitive. A GPA of 3.0 does not guarantee admission. Calculation of GPA is based on grades in Area A, Area D, and Area F. If any of the applicable courses have been repeated, all attempts are included in this calculation.
- Successful completion of the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS V) exam within the past two years with a minimum score of 70%. Scores must be received before the application deadline. Information and study guide are available at www.ATItesting.com. If testing at a site other than GSW, please select Georgia Southwestern State University when sending scores.
- Must not have been excluded from another nursing program for any reason, including but not limited to, academic misconduct, disruptive behavior, or program failure. A nursing course failure in another institution counts as a course failure at this institution.
It may not be possible to admit all students who meet the minimum requirements for admission. If there are more qualified applicants than positions available in a nursing class, selection for admission will be based upon the following:
- Grade Point Average - greater than the minimum of 3.0
- Grades in Science courses - minimum of B is preferred
- ATI - Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) – result minimum of 70.0%
- Patterns of withdrawal from courses/schools
- Grades of Ds and/or Fs
- Written communication ability
- Availability of space in clinical sites
- Availability of faculty resources
The Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) V is required for admission into Georgia Southwestern State University Bachelor Degree in Nursing Program. The exam is a test of basic academic knowledge in reading, mathematics, science and English and language usage. All SON applicants must include a copy of the TEAS score report in their SON application packet. Applicants are expected to earn a minimum score of 70%. TEAS scores are valid for two years from the specific BSN application admission deadline. Tests taken after the application deadline will not be used for the current admissions cycle.
Retakes: Only two attempts are permitted.
Cost: The applicant is responsible for the testing fee of approximately **$80.00 (depending on the testing site selected) which must be paid with a major credit card the day of the test. The testing fee is non-refundable. ** Price is subject to change and determined by testing site.
How to Register for the TEAS
• Go to ATI testing website http://www.atitesting.com/ati_next_gen/customecom/SessionCityStateSelection.aspx?stf=6&stype=1&prev=1
The official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) test scores are required for applicants whose first language is not English. Exemption from the TOEFL requirement is allowed for undergraduate students who complete courses equivalent to English Composition I and II at a regionally accredited United States college or university and earn at least a “C” on the courses.
- Upon applicant’s acceptance to GSW, a letter of acceptance and transcript evaluation will be available to the SON. These documents must be on file in GSW office of admissions and are required before the Admission & Progression Committee can review the SON application.
- If applicant is taking or in progression of courses at other institutions during the admission process, applicants must make note of what courses they are taking on their nursing application.
- Applicant must submit an official transcript verifying final course grades to Registrars office and an unofficial transcript verifying final course grades to the School of Nursing Student Services Coordinators office ASAP after completion.
Conditional acceptance is conferred until completion of the following:
- Students taking core classes spring or summer must submit final grades to the SON immediately at end of semester showing the core has been satisfactorily completed and student GPA maintained.
- Students must also return the Reservation Form along with required signed documents that they will receive in their SON acceptance packet by the indicated deadline.
- The background check, drug screen, and immunization package described in that packet must also be purchased and the required documents uploaded and approved by the indicated deadline.
(Failure to do any of the above will result in the conditional acceptance status being revoked and student will have to reapply for admission during another cycle.
Full acceptance is granted when all of the above requirements have been met.
Review of applications by the Admission Committee will take place shortly after the application deadline. Applicants will be notified of their acceptance status approximately one month from the application deadline.
All SON application materials should be sent together (including application form, sealed reference forms, and essay) by the application deadline. Incomplete application packets may delay review by the Admission & Progression Committee.
- Summer Admission: January 15
- Fall Admission: February 15
Attention transfer students: Your SON application will require a transcript evaluation so be sure to apply early to the university so that this document can be completed before the deadline.
The SON application form and the required support documents must be received by the SON by the published application deadline via mail or personal delivery to:
School of Nursing
Student Services Coordinator
Georgia Southwestern State University
800 Georgia Southwestern State University Drive
Americus, GA 31709