After gaining admission to the university, students should begin the process of applying for VA Educational Benefits. To apply for VA Benefits, please visit the following link www.gibill.va.gov and click on the Apply for Benefits link which will direct you to the Veterans Online Application System (VONAPP). For a paper application, please visit www.va.gov/vaforms/ to download and complete a paper application. The application process normally takes 6 - 8 weeks for new education claims.
Applicants under Chapters 30 (Active Duty), 32 (VEAP), 33 (Post 9/11), 1606 (Reserve) & 1607 (REAP):
- New applicants complete VA Form 22-1990 or,
- Transfer students complete VA Form 22-1995.
Applicants under Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehab):
- Applicants complete VA Form 28-1900.
Applicants under Chapter 35 (Survivors & Dependents):
- New applicants complete VA Form 22-5490 or,
- Transfer students complete VA Form 22-5495.
Transfer of Entitlement of Ch 33 Benefits:
The service member must submit a transfer request by logging on to the DoD Transfer of Education Benefits (TEB). Once approved, the family member must apply for a Certificate of Eligibility form by completing VA Form 22-1990E.
Kicker Contracts/Buy Up documentation
Mail directly to the VA along with a copy of your DD-214.
The service member should contact his/her unit. The unit will send the TA Form to our Students Accounts Office for payment:
GSW Students Accounts
800 GSW State University Dr.
Americus, GA 31709
Official military ACE transcripts should be submitted to the Admissions Office for possible college credits.
The following documents should be submitted to the Certifying Official in order to begin your VA file for GSW
- DD Form 214 member 4 (Service Members)
- There are no physical education requirements for Veterans with at least one year of active duty or for reservists with at least one year of service. Veterans and reservists must submit this form in order to be awarded the P.E. exemption. This exception does not apply to majors in Exercise Science & Wellness, Health & PE, and Recreation.
- DD-2384 NOBE (If Applicable)
- Certificate of Eligibility letter (This is sent from the VA Regional Office after your application has been approved for educational benefits.)
Each semester after you have registered and finalized your schedule, please complete & submit the Veteran’s Benefits Form to the VA Certifying Official at GSW. This form is required in order to submit your enrollment to the VA. Failure to submit this form may delay your benefits. The Veteran’s Benefits Form can be found on RAIN under Student Forms.