Announcement: GSW is migrating employee email to Office 365! Click here for more information.
The mission of the Information and Instructional Technology (IIT) department is to support Georgia Southwestern State University by providing professional expertise that enables the extensive and essential use of information technology in support of both administrative processes and academic pursuits. IIT maintains a variety of administrative, faculty, and student-use networks and computers as well as a multimedia, distance learning, and faculty development classrooms. IIT offers computer hardware and software setup and support, training, trouble-shooting and repair, equipment acquisition, backup, and network/data security. IIT supports campus email, financial and student information along with other administrative systems, on-line course development, and student testing, along with academic and residential computer labs. We seek to interact with our constituents in a fair and empathetic manner.
In pursuit of our mission we:
- Maintain a leadership role in the application of information technology to teaching and learning, supporting the integration of computing into the many disciplines of the curricula.
- Maintain an awareness of current technology in order to promote, recommend, and facilitate appropriate use of technology in teaching, learning and administrative operations.
- Set standards for computer hardware and software owned by the university.
- Acquire and maintain modern, reliable and secure computing equipment to support institutional functions, including administrative, faculty and student.
- Participate in the planning, setup, and operation of the highest quality computing laboratories.
- Maintain secure campus networks that inter-connect buildings of the campus as well as other educational entities in the University System of Georgia.
- Provide training and technical support to faculty, staff and students relating to the hardware, software, multimedia studio, and distance learning technologies being utilized on campus.
- Provide timely technical support to all campus academic and administrative divisions.
- Support Internet information resources including email services and web development.
- Support creative infusion of new information technologies into campus activities through collaborative exploratory and development efforts.
- Actively participate in determining future direction in technology on campus.
- Assist faculty and campus groups in special projects involving technology.
- Support the technical and operational functions of the campus-run cable access channel, providing community outreach through public affairs programming and promoting public awareness of Georgia Southwestern State University.
- Use information technology for video and audio production, producing content for instructional and promotional needs.