Georgia Southwestern State University welcomes students from all over the world! We look forward to your becoming part of our academic community. Below is the process for applying as a graduate international student. If you have questions, please feel free to contact our office at 800-338-0082 or email@example.com.
- Submit your completed application with $25.00 non-refundable application fee, a recent photograph and an immunization form. To expedite the process, you may submit your graduate application online. You must use a credit card to apply online.
- Submit all information needed for the graduate program in which you hope to participate. Additionally, international applicants will need to:
- Submit Official Transcripts:
- Students currently in the US:
- Those enrolled or who have completed a degree in a US college need to submit official transcripts from each college or technical school attended. If currently enrolled, send preliminary transcript now and final transcript upon completion of term. If you also attended a college outside of the US, follow instructions below for sending college transcripts from schools outside of the US.
- Students currently outside of the US:
- Please submit official copies of all college transcripts. You must submit certified English translations of original transcripts for each institution attended if coursework in another language. GSW uses an external Evaluation Service (Josef Silny - see below) for credential evaluation. Please send your official transcripts to Josef Silny and have an original evaluation and final report sent directly to us at this address:
- Office of Graduate Admissions
800 GSW State University Dr. Americus, GA 31709
United States of America
We accept evaluations from Josef Silny & Associates, Inc. and American Association of Collegiate Registrars and the Admissions Officers (AACRAO)
Josef Silny & Associates, Inc. (preferred)
International Educational Consultants
7101 SW 102 Avenue
Miami, FL 33173
Phone: (305) 273-1616
Fax: (305) 273-1338
Translation fax: (305) 273-1984
Office of International Education Services
American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO)
One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite #520
Washington, DC 20036-1135
- Submit official test scores:
- If you are attending or have graduated from a secondary school and college outside of the US, please submit an official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score report or IELTS scores. The minimum TOEFL requirement for admission to Georgia Southwestern State University is 523 on the written test, 193 on the computer test, and 69 on the internet based test. The minimum IELTS score is a 6.5 for regular admission.
Applications will not be considered until all of the above items and have been received. All items must be received before the program deadline for which you are applying. When you have been accepted to the Georgia Southwestern, you will be notified by mail or you may check the status of your application at: http://gsw.edu/Admissions/Status.
Upon receiving your acceptance letter to GSW, please submit the following items so that GSW can issue you your Certification of Enrollment - SEVIS I-20 Form. These items must be dated within 6 months (preferably less) of the beginning of the semester for which you are admitted.
- Submit an official Declaration and Certification of Finances provided by GSW. Included, in this document is a Verification of Support and Bank Certification Letter. For the Bank Certification Letter you may use the included form or an original bank statement that includes the same information. A printed copy of the statement is acceptable it includes an original stamp from the bank.
- Students transferring in and/or graduating from another institution within the US need to submit GSW's Transfer Clearance From.
- Original bank documentation must be submitted to Georgia Southwestern. Additional required documents may be scanned or emailed.
International students are required to purchase health/accident insurance from GSW. Click here to view the rates and additional information about the insurance program or go to our Health Center website.
Upon receiving your acceptance verification and declaration and certification of finances, GSW's Office of International Student and Scholar Services will create and mail your SEVIS I-20, required for your visa interview at a US Embassy or Consulate. International students and scholars need to be aware that you will be responsible for locating your own housing during vacation periods and breaks between academic terms IF you are not living in one of Southwestern's 12-month residence halls. (Residence Halls DO remain open during the break periods)
PLEASE NOTE: International students enrolling at Georgia Southwestern State University for the first time are required to have a Tuberculosis screening testing and to complete the questionnaire within 10 days of arrival to the GSW campus. Positive PPD tests are required to have a follow-up chest X-ray within 2 weeks.