Georgia Southwestern State University welcomes students from all over the world. We look forward to you becoming part of our academic community. Below is the step-by-step process you should follow to be admitted to our university. The process for students who have never attended a US institution is slightly different than the process for those International students who are currently attending another school in the US. Read and follow the steps carefully. If you need help, please feel free to contact our office at 800-338-0082 or email@example.com.
International Student Admission Process
- Submit your completed application with $25.00 non-refundable application fee. To expedite the process, you may submit your application online. You must use a credit card to apply online.
- Submit official transcripts:
- Those currently in the US:
- Those enrolled in a US college, submit official transcripts from each college or technical school attended. If currently enrolled, send preliminary transcript now and final transcript upon completion of term. If you also attended a college outside of the US, follow instructions below for sending college transcripts from schools outside of the US. If you have less than 30 hours of college transfer credit, you must also submit your final high school/secondary school transcript, an evaluation if the high school was outside of the US, along with official test scores. See below for information on sending official test scores.
- Those enrolled in a US high school, submit an official copy of your high school transcript showing academic achievement in grades 9-11.
- Those currently outside of the US:
- Submit official copies of secondary school transcripts and all college transcripts. You should complete the high school degree before you submit your transcripts for a final evaluation. The evaluation must include the equivalent of 9th through 12th grades in the U.S. You must submit certified English translations of original transcripts for each institution attended. In addition, you must also submit your transcripts to an Evaluation Service and have an original evaluation sent directly to us. Please send the final evaluation report to:
Office of Admission
800 GSW State University Dr.
Americus, GA 31709
United States of America
We only accept evaluations from Josef Silny & Associates, Inc. and American Association of Collegiate Registrars and the Admissions Officers (AACRAO)
Josef Silny & Associates, Inc. (preferred)
International Educational Consultants
7101 SW 102 Avenue
Miami, FL 33173
Phone: (305) 273-1616
Fax: (305) 273-1338
Translation fax: (305) 273-1984
Office of International Education Services
American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO)
One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite #520
Washington, DC 20036-1135
- Submit official test scores:
- If you are attending or have graduated from a US high school, submit official SAT or ACT scores. Georgia Southwestern's freshmen class averages a 985 - 1000 SAT in Math and Critical Reading, with a required minimum of 400 Math and 430 Critical Reading. On ACT, an average 21 Composite with a required minimum of 17 Math and 17 English.
- If you are attending or have graduated from a secondary school or college outside of the US, submit an official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score report, IELTS scores, OR official SAT or ACT scores. The minimum TOEFL requirement for admission to Georgia Southwestern State University is 523 on the written test, 193 on the computer test, and 69 on the internet based test. The minimum IELTS score is a 6.5 for regular admission. Students falling below these test score requirements are encouraged to consider applying to Southwestern's English Language Institute. Southwestern's freshmen class averages a 985 - 1000 SAT in Math and Critical Reading, with a required minimum of 400 Math and 430 Critical Reading. On ACT, an average 21 Composite with a required minimum of 17 Math and 17 English.
No application will be considered until all of the above items are received. Allow at least eight (8) weeks for processing. Once these items are received, the Admissions Office will evaluate your credentials and make a decision. If you are accepted to the University, you will be notified by mail or you may check the status of your application at: https://gsw.gabest.usg.edu/pls/B420/bwwkadst.P_GetID.
Once accepted, you must submit the following items before the SEVIS I-20 will be issued to obtain your student VISA. These items can not be dated more the 6 months before the beginning of the semester for which you are admitted.
- Submit an official Declaration and Certification of Finances provided by GSW. Included, in this document is a Verification of Support and Bank Certification Letter. For the Bank Certification Letter you may use the included form or an original bank statement that includes the same information. A printed copy of the statement is acceptable it includes an original stamp from the bank.
- Students transferring/graduating from another institution within the US must submit an Transfer Clearance From provided by GSW.
- Students transferring their I-20 from a college or high school in the US must also submit copies of their current I-20, passport, visa, and I-94.
- The original bank documentation must be mailed to Southwestern. The other information can be received by mail or email.
Each international student must obtain and maintain health/accident insurance from the university. Click here to view the rates and additional information about the insurance program or go to our Health Center website.
Upon receipt of the tuition deposit, the SEVIS I-20 will be mailed to the student. Each international student should be aware that they are responsible for locating their own housing during vacation periods and breaks between academic terms if they are not living in one of Southwestern's 12-month residence halls.
PLEASE NOTE: All international students enrolling in Georgia Southwestern State University for the first time are required to have a Tuberculosis screening testing & questionnaire – within 10 days of arrival to the GSW campus. Positive PPD tests are required to have a follow-up chest X-ray within 2 weeks.
Students from around the world call Southwestern home. This diverse population allows students to learn and understand new cultures, as well as share their life experiences with others. Interacting with those who are different is another example of how Southwestern prepares students for the real world. Exactly where are Southwestern students coming from these days? To find out, just check out the list below!
- Central African Republic
- Great Britain
- Saudia Arabia
- South Korea
- United Kingdom
- United States