The MBA program provides strong business training that integrates knowledge from various functional areas, the expertise of our faculty, and the real-world experience of our students. The program reinforces strong values, ethics, and service, and it acknowledges the multicultural influences driving today's market. Our program is based on developing key competencies that will help build a lifetime of success. The MBA degree program in business educates students in a broad range of knowledge and skills including finance, ethics, international business, management, and marketing as a basis for careers as successful managers. Students achieve knowledge and skills for successful performance in a complex environment requiring intellectual ability to organize work, make and communicate sound decisions, and react successfully to unanticipated events. The program has been designed to promote career development and help students build personal and leadership skills.
The academic program consists of a minimum of 30 graduate semester credit hours in business-related courses. In addition, there are several prerequisite undergraduate courses. For applicants whose undergraduate degree were in business-related fields, these foundation course prerequisites will typically already have been met.
- Applicants whose academic record does not include the prerequisite courses listed below, they will be required to complete these prerequisites before being admitted into the MBA program. Students needing these courses should apply to undergraduate admissions as a Post-Baccalaureate student in order to complete these courses. Students who have not previously earned a bachelor’s degree in a business-related field, the cumulative GPA in the prerequisite business courses must be at least 3.0 in order to qualify for admission to the MBA program.
- ACCT 2101 Principles of Acct. I or Survey of Acct.
- BUSA 3050 Business Statistics or equivalent
- BUSA 3150 Business Finance or equivalent
- MGNT 3600 Principles of Management
Admission to the graduate program in business administration is limited to holders of a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution. Admission will be granted only to students showing high promise of success in graduate study. The candidate's performance on the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) and the candidate's undergraduate academic record will be used to determine admission status. The GMAT/GRE requirement is is waived for certain applicants as shown below under exemptions. For students who submit GRE scores, a predicted GMAT score is determined based upon the GRE Comparison Tool for Business Schools, developed by the Educational Testing Service that administers the Graduate Record Examination.
The completed application packet, including all supporting documentation, must be received by the Office of Graduate Admissions by the deadline for each term. Contact the Office of Graduate Admissions with questions. Applicants may apply for admittance during any semester. The complete admissions packet is comprised of the following:
- Graduate application for admission
- $25.00 non-refundable application fee
- Official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended
- Three recommendation letters
- Official test scores (Unless applicant graduated from an AACSB accredited institution with a GPA of a 3.25 or higher)
- Letters of recommendation
- Immunization form (before enrollment)
- Documentation of Lawful Presence (before enrollment, if applying for in-state tuition)
Students applying for a Master of Business Administration degree who already hold a master's degree in another area may submit an application packet without test scores. Admission will be granted based on the grade point average earned for the previous master's degree.
- A minimum undergraduate overall grade point average (GPA) of 2.70 as reported on the official transcripts from all accredited institutions.
- A score of 1,000 or higher using formula (1) or 1,050 or higher using formula (2)
- Formula 1: GMAT score/predicted score + (200 x Undergraduate GPA [four point scale])
- Formula 2: GMAT score/predicted score + (200 x Upper Undergraduate GPA [four point scale])
- Completion of the prerequisite requirements
EXEMPTIONS: The GMAT/GRE requirement is only waived for applicants who have earned a previous master’s degree or for those graduating with an undergraduate business degree from an AACSB accredited institution with a GPA of a 3.25 or higher. Applicants with a 3.0 GPA and 5 years professional/managerial work experience may submit a request to waive the GRE/GMAT.
Competitive Admissions Statement
Acceptance into the MBA program is competitive. The admission criteria listed above reflect minimum standards and meeting these criteria does not guarantee acceptance into the MBA program.
Office of Graduate Admissions
Wheatley Administration Building
Georgia Southwestern State University
Attn: Graduate Admissions
800 GSW State University Drive
Americus, GA 31709
United States of America