We invite you to take the video tour of our state-of-the-art educational facility!
Georgia Southwestern State University’s Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) program continues its proud tradition of strong academic preparation of nurses that began in 1953 with the establishment of its first associate degree nursing program. As nurses have assumed more complex and diverse responsibilities, the need for professional nurses with a BSN has become greater than ever. The School of Nursing is committed to developing qualified nurses and nurse leaders to embark on a health care career that is dynamic, challenging, and satisfying. GSW students receive the foundation in theory, practice, and critical thinking skills necessary to become excellent health care providers.
Furthering our commitment to nursing education, in June of 2013, Georgia Southwestern joined a consortium recognized by the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia offering the Master of Science in Nursing with tracks in nursing education, nursing leadership, and nursing informatics in partnership with Columbus State University as The Georgia Intercollegiate Consortium for Graduate Nursing Education (GICGNE). In fall of 2014, the Family Nurse Practitioner program was created by the consortium.
The School of Nursing is located in the Rosalynn Carter Health and Human Sciences Complex which opened in fall of 2012. The lecture hall and computer classrooms offer students the newest means of instruction. The upstairs replica of a hospital floor complete with life like simulation lab, obstetrics and newborn unit, medical-surgical unit, critical care unit, pediatrics care, trauma center, and nurses stations give students the opportunity to practice skills in a technology enhanced health care setting before going to their off-site clinical assignments.
Our four undergraduate program tracks offer students of varying educational backgrounds a pathway into the nursing profession or further through to a higher degree of the nursing profession. These programs are accredited by the Georgia Board of Nursing and the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). (http://www.aacn.nche.edu/ccne-accreditation)
These are four year programs, with the core courses being completed in the first two years of study and the nursing courses being completed in the final two years. Students begin taking nursing courses their junior year. Note: All nursing classes must be taken at GSW.
- The Traditional BSN Program track is designed for students having no nursing background.
- The 2nd Degree Program track is designed for students with a bachelor’s degree or higher in a non-nursing field of study.
- The LPN-BSN Program track allows licensed LPNs to further their education and become registered nurses with a BSN.
- The RN-BSN Program track is totally online and specifically designed to meet the needs of RNs who are completing the BSN degree. Most students complete the degree in 1-2 years, but can elect to finish in three years. Under special circumstances, students can have up to five years from the start of their nursing courses to complete the degree requirements. (International students in the RN-BSN program must take classes on campus.)
*The Traditional, 2nd Degree, and LPN-BSN program tracks meet the requirements for the AMEDD Enlisted Commissioning Program (AECP/ARMY Nurse Corps).
AffordaleCollegesOnline.org (AC Online), leading resource for online learning college affordability information, has released its third annual ranking for the 2015-2016 Best Online Nursing Programs. We are proud that our RN-BSN and MSN Online programs are on their list!
- The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) consists of four degree tracks and two certificate tracks. It is a totally online degree. The Georgia Intercollegiate Consortium for Graduate Nursing Education (GICGNE) is a consortium between Georgia Southwestern State University and Columbus State University offering the MSN. The master's degree in nursing and post-graduate APRN certificate at Georgia Southwestern State University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu/ccne-accreditation).
- Nursing Educator
- Nursing Leadership/Management
- Nursing Informatics
- Certificate in Nursing Education
- Certificate in Nursing Informatics
- Family Nurse Practitioner Program
- The Guaranteed Acceptance Program (GAP) for high school seniors is unique to GSW and the School of Nursing. Seniors from all over Georgia, Alabama, Florida, and South Carolina meeting the minimum eligibility requirements as well as the core requirements for entrance to the program have the opportunity to enter the university as freshmen. After the pre-nursing core curriculum requirements and minimum eligibility requirements for nursing are met, GAP students will be assured of acceptance to the School of Nursing. Our GAP students have priority of acceptance over other applicants in the highly competitive application process. Application deadlines for the GAP program only: (preferred February 1) deadline April 15
RN public health nurses have the opportunity to refresh their skills and knowledge by taking NURS 3200 Health Assessment without applying and being accepted to the School of Nursing. RNs wanting to take the course must apply and be accepted to the university. The university application for public health nurses only requires a current RN license, immunization form, letter from employer showing request for the course, and an official transcript showing degree award. For GSW admission: please visit the Office of Admissions website http://gsw.edu/Admissions/index.
Why should you consider Georgia Southwestern School of Nursing as your educational choice? In addition to our state-of-the-art educational facility:
- Our outstanding faculty are experts in the area in which they teach providing hands-on experience in the classroom and clinical settings.
- Low student to faculty ratio.
- Students immediately get hands-on experience in the classroom and clinical settings.
- Our students are well prepared for the national nursing licensure exam (NCLEX) and have a passing rate well above the national average.
- Our programs encompass diversity in culture, age, and gender in a nurturing environment.
- After completion of required core coursework, students enter nursing courses in their junior year following the clinical nursing curriculum offered as a regular time or extended time track.
- Our SURGE center for academic advising, success planning, and career counseling begins with our pre-nursing students and continues to graduation.
- GAP - our unique opportunity for high school seniors.
- Georgia Southwestern’s excellent education is rated one of the most affordable among highly ranked universities.
- Georgia Southwestern is ranked as one of the safest universities in the United States.
- Our MSN degree allows our graduates to flow from the BSN directly into MSN study.
Here's what some of our graduates had to say about the SON....
"The Faculty is awesome!" - K.M. (Traditional BSN Graduate spring 2013)
"I commend the GSW SON for giving me a great education & preparing me for real world nursing! I have noticed a significant difference in my knowledge vs. other nursing students of different nursing schools in my area. I am a lot more confident than they are in the clinical area and I have even managed to teach them a few things! Thank you!" -M.M. (2nd Degree BSN Graduate spring 2013)
"GSW Nursing School gave me a great foundation to handle the serious learning curve on a fast-paced surgical floor! It is becoming very clear that the effectiveness of learned skill sets relies on the individual nurse’s ability to remain focused within a dynamic/crucial care environment. Thank you for preparing me as well as you have as I am certain that without a strong basic skill set, this work area would have been overwhelming." -F.S. (Traditional BSN Graduate Spring 2013)
|Our Student Services Coordinator, Cassie Spradley, is available at firstname.lastname@example.org to quickly respond to your inquiries. She is available to guide you through the application process. As you explore our website, we welcome your questions, comments, or suggestions.|
All elements combine to make the GSW School of Nursing one of the best and most highly respected teaching facilities in the area. Graduates of the program will be prepared to practice in a wide variety of health care settings. These individuals will be actively recruited by the best hospitals and healthcare agencies in the state.
We welcome students who are looking to meet the challenges in the nation’s health care and who are eager to learn.
Join us at Southwestern!