The browser you are using is out of date and may not support all of the features of this website. Please update your browser to a modern browser that supports HTML5.
The RN-BSN Program is a TOTALLY ONLINE program designed to specifically meet the needs of RNs who are completing the BSN degree. Most students complete the degree in 1-2 years.
Recognizing the barriers that RNs face in terms of employment demands, travel time, and family responsibilities, the program has been designed to allow full-time or part-time study, and flexibility in the sequencing of courses.
While most students complete the degree in 1-2 years, some students in this program prefer to progress at their own rate. Students can elect to finish in three years, and under special circumstances have up to five years from the start of their nursing courses to complete the degree requirements. Advisors develop an individual model plan of study to help students stay on track for completion of the degree. Students are required to take a minimum of one class per academic year, and to begin their course of study the semester they are admitted to the program. RNs may need to take some core courses before taking only nursing courses. However, NURS 3010 must be taken as the first nursing course. Understanding the unexpected demands sometimes experienced by RN’s, the SON does allow a one-time Application for Readmission if a student finds it necessary to interrupt their course of study.
Required nursing courses for the RN-BSN consists of 5 non-clinical courses, 2 clinical courses and a Practicum.
RN-BSN graduates often continue on with GSW's Master of Science in Nursing degrees and certificates. Others have great success in getting into competitive graduate programs such as nurse anesthetist programs and nurse midwifery.
The Nursing program has full approval of the Georgia Board of Nursing (237 Coliseum Drive, Macon, GA 31217-3858; 478-207-1300 or 1640.) The program is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc., (3343 Peachtree Road, NE, Suite 850, Atlanta, GA 30326, 404-975-5000.)
NOTE: International students with F1 or J1 Visa Status may not enroll in the RN-BSN Program. The RN-BSN Completion program would require students to enroll in courses not taught online according to federal regulations. Applicants may obtain more information about regulations by contacting the Primary Designated School Official (PDSO) at the Office of the Registrar at GSW for information.
The first step is to apply to GSW as RN-BSN Track and be accepted by the university. Please see the Office of Admissions for more information.
All nursing classes summer 2015 will run from May 11th to July 23rd.
GSW Distance Education Programs
Each of the states has its own approval processes for out-of-state institutions offering distance education. While Georgia Southwestern State University endeavors to offer all of its programs to as wide an audience as possible, all Georgia Southwestern State University distance education programs may not be available in all states. States in which GSW is authorized to offer online programs may be found at https://gsw.edu/Assets/DistanceLearning/GSW%20State%20Authorization%20Statement.pdf.
All theory (didactic/lecture) courses are offered online via GOVIEW online platform. Delivery will be both synchronous and asynchronous.
RN-BSN Program eligibility requirements
In order to meet eligibility requirements for full admission into the program, RN-BSN program applicants must:
Additional responsibilities and information for the RN-BSN student:
Transfer students only
- Upon applicant’s acceptance to GSW, a letter of acceptance and transcript evaluation will be available to the SON. These documents must be on file in GSW office of admissions and are required before the Admission & Progression Committee can review the SON application.
- If applicant is taking or in progression of courses at other institutions during the admission process, applicants must make note of what courses they are taking on their nursing application.
- Applicant must submit an official transcript verifying final course grades to Registrars office and an unofficial transcript verifying final course grades to the School of Nursing Student Services Coordinators office ASAP after completion.
There are two types of admission in the School of Nursing
Conditional acceptance is conferred until completion of the following:
- RN-BSN students must sometimes take core classes and while completing these courses are listed as “pre-nursing” RN-BSN students. These courses can sometimes be taken at the same time as nursing courses. Until any core is completed the student may be conditionally accepted.
- RN-BSN students must return the Reservation Form along with required signed documents that they will receive in their SON acceptance packet by the indicated deadline.
- RN-BSN students must purchase the CertifiedBackground package described in that packet and the required documents must be uploaded and approved by the indicated deadline. RN students taking on-line courses are not exempt from this requirement.
(Failure to do any of the above will result in the conditional acceptance status being revoked and student will have to reapply for admission during another cycle.
Full acceptance is granted when all of the above requirements have been met. RNs seeking readmission to the SON:
- RNs wishing to reapply to the School of Nursing may do so one time and should use the Application for Readmission.
- Former GSW students who have not been enrolled within one calendar year must apply for readmission to GSW Admissions Office. Applicants applying for readmission who have attended other institutions since their last enrollment at GSW must submit an official transcript from those institutions.
- Summer Admission: March 15
- Fall Admission: June 15
- Spring Admission: October 15
All SON application materials should be sent together (including application form, sealed reference forms, and essay) by the application deadline. Incomplete application packets may delay review by the Admission & Progression Committee.
The SON application form and the required support documents must be received by the SON by the published application deadline via mail or personal delivery to:
School of Nursing
Student Services Coordinator
Georgia Southwestern State University
800 Georgia Southwestern State University Drive
Americus, GA 31709