The 2nd Degree Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) is for persons with a bachelor’s degree or higher in a non-nursing field of study.
This program builds on previous learning experiences and provides the quickest route for those with undergraduate degrees to transition into nursing. This BSN takes approximately the same length of time as would be necessary for an associate degree in nursing while offering better long range opportunities to the graduate. (The program is approximately 22-24 months in length.)
The core and general education requirements met by the first degree are accepted by the University. The U.S. and Georgia History and Constitution Requirements of the University System of Georgia must be met by all second degree students who are admitted to the program prior to the senior year of coursework.
The Nursing program has full approval of the Georgia Board of Nursing (237 Coliseum Drive, Macon, GA 31217-3858; 478-207-1300 or 1640.) The program is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) (http://www.aacn.nche.edu/ccne-accreditation)
The first step is to apply to GSW as 2nd Degree Nursing Track and be accepted by the university. Please see the Office of Admissions for more information.
Upon acceptance to GSW, students are first enrolled as Pre-Nursing students and remain as such until all requirements for full acceptance to the nursing program have been met. Pre-Nursing students are advised by a professional nursing advisor.
All core curriculum requirements must be completed by the end of the "Maymester" before entering the nursing program.
2nd Degree BSN Program admission eligibility requirements:
1. Attain admission in good standing to the University.
2. Return the completed nursing application and required supporting documents to the School of Nursing by the published deadline.
3. Must have completed a bachelor’s degree or higher from a recognized college or university with an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher prior to applying to the School of Nursing.
4. Must have completed the following pre-requisites by the end of the "Maymester" before entering the nursing program:
- Area F with grade of “C” or higher
- BIOL 2030 Anatomy and Physiology I*
- BIOL 2040 Anatomy and Physiology II*
- BIOL 2050 Microbiology*
- PSYC 2103 Human Growth and Development
- Area D with grade of “C” or higher
- MATH 2204 Elementary Statistics (or equivalent course)
- Area F with grade of “C” or higher
(A GPA will be figured using course grades in Area D and F -excluding the elective in Area F- as noted above with preference given to those with high scores. An unofficial transcript verifying final course grades must be submitted to the School of Nursing Student Services Coordinators office ASAP after completion.)
* Testing is required for those applicants who completed these courses five (5) years ago or longer. Remediation may be required.
5. Must take HESI A2. Test scores should be printed out and included in the nursing application packet. If no printer is available and testing is at a site other than GSW, please select Georgia Southwestern State University when sending score electronically.
6. Must not have been excluded from another nursing program for any reason, including but not limited to, academic misconduct, disruptive behavior, or program failure. A nursing course failure in another institution counts as a failure in this institution.
It may not be possible to admit all students who meet the minimum requirements for admission. If there are more qualified applicants than positions available in a nursing class, selection for admission will be based upon the following:
- Grade Point Average - greater than the minimum of 3.0
- Grades in Area F Science courses - minimum of B is preferred
- HESI Admission Assessment A2 - minimum score of 75%
- Patterns of withdrawal from courses/schools
- Grades of Ds and/or Fs
- Written communication ability
- Availability of space in clinical sites
- Availability of faculty resources
Information about HESI A2 as well as study guides can be found here: https://evolve.elsevier.com/studentlife/pdf/HESI-A2.pdf
More information is available on the GSW campus at the Testing Center at https://gsw.edu/Academics/Academic-Resources/Disability-Services/testing-center/index.
TOEFL Exam Scores
The official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) test scores are required for applicants whose first language is not English. Exemption from the TOEFL requirement is allowed for undergraduate students who complete courses equivalent to English Composition I and II at a regionally accredited United States college or university and earn at least a “C” on the courses.
Transfer students only
- Upon applicant’s acceptance to GSW, a letter of acceptance and transcript evaluation will be available to the School of Nursing. These documents must be on file in GSW office of admissions and are required before the Admission & Progression Committee can review the School of Nursing application.
- If applicant is taking or in progression of courses at other institutions during the admission process, applicants must make note of what courses they are taking on their nursing application.
- Applicant must submit an official transcript verifying final course grades to Registrar’s office and an unofficial transcript verifying final course grades to the School of Nursing Student Services Coordinators office ASAP after completion.
There are two types of admission in the School of Nursing
Conditional acceptance is conferred until completion of the following:
- Students taking core classes spring or Maymester must submit final grades to the School of Nursing immediately at end of semester showing the core has been satisfactorily completed and student GPA maintained.
- Students must return the Reservation Form along with required signed documents that they will receive in their School of Nursing acceptance packet by the indicated deadline.
- The background check, drug screen, and immunization package described in that packet must be purchased and the required documents uploaded and approved by the indicated deadline.
(Failure to do any of the above will result in the conditional acceptance status being revoked and student will have to reapply for admission during another cycle.)
Full acceptance is granted when all of the above requirements have been met.
Review of applications by the Admission Committee will take place shortly after the application deadline. Applicants will be notified of their acceptance status approximately one month from the application deadline.
All School of Nursing application materials should be sent together (including application form, sealed reference forms, essay, resume, and HESI score) by the application deadline. Incomplete application packets will delay review by the Admission & Progression Committee resulting in applicant being moved to end of review period.
Application Deadlines (excludes AECP military)
- Fall Admission:
- January 15 preferred
- February 15 final
Attention transfer students: Your School of Nursing application will require a transcript evaluation so be sure to apply early to the university so that this document can be completed before the deadline.
The School of Nursing application form and the required support documents must be received by the School of Nursing by the published application deadline via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, mail or personal delivery to:
School of Nursing
Student Services Coordinator
Georgia Southwestern State University
800 Georgia Southwestern State University Drive
Americus, GA 31709
- Application Instructions & Checklist The School of Nursing will be communicating with
- 2nd Degree Application Form applicants via email so please use personal email
- BSN Reference Form address instead of work place email address.
- Curriculum Sheets
- BSN Model Plan of Study
- All Track Model Plan of Study
- Preview Day
- GSW Undergraduate Bulletin