The browser you are using is out of date and may not support all of the features of this website. Please update your browser to a modern browser that supports HTML5.
The committee approves substantive change to curriculum, reviews and advises on academic policies, reviews general education assessment reports, and oversees academic advising. The Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs, the University Registrar, and the Assistant Athletic Director for Compliance are ex-officio members of this committee. The Assistant Athletic Director for Compliance is a non-voting member of the committee. The committee shall:
This committee has three standing subcommittees: academic policies, general education assessment review, and academic advisement. The Assistant Athletic Director for Compliance is a standing member of the academic advisement subcommittee.
- Bryan Davis, Chair
- Gaynor Cheokas, Secretary
- Olga Godoy
- Ru Story-Huffman
- Joy Humphrey
- Brian Smith
- Philip Szmedra
- Thomas Wright
- Chadwick Gugg, Faculty Senator
- Alexander Yemelyanov
- Catalina Casaru
- David Hunter
- Tonia Hughes
- Maegan Pierce, Student
- Scott Jacobs, Student
- Brayean Lepiz, Student Alternate
- Brian Adler, Ex-Officio
- Helen Tate, Ex-Officio
- Krista Smith, Ex-Officio
- Christie Ward, Ex-Officio
|2013 Minutes||2014 Minutes||2015 Minutes
|January 25, 2013||January 31, 2014||February 13, 2015||January 29, 2016
|February 22, 2013||February 28, 2014||March 13, 2015
||March 4, 2016
|March 29, 2013||April 25, 2014
||April 10, 2015||April 8, 2016
|April 19, 2013||August 12, 2014
||August 11, 2015|
|August 14, 2013||September 12, 2014
||September 11, 2015|
|September 30, 2013||October 3, 2014
||October 16, 2015|
|October 31, 2013||November 7, 2014
||November 6, 2015|
|November 18, 2013||December 1, 2014|
All changes or additions to the curriculum at Georgia Southwestern State University (GSW) follow the campus process outlined below. Curriculum changes may also require notification of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC), GSW’s accrediting agency; the Board of Regents; or the University System of Georgia’s General Education Council. This process can be time-consuming; depending on the change being proposed, official approval from GSW and any outside approvals may require up to 12 months or more. All individual proposing changes to academic programs should review GSW's Substantive Change Policy to determine whether their proposal should be reviewed to GSW's SACSCOC Liaison before submission to the appropriate committee for action.
If a department or a program wants a change to appear in the catalog for the beginning of the academic year in August, the entire process must generally be completed by December of the previous year.
1) Course or curriculum change or addition originates with a faculty member in the Academic Program. (Complete required forms—Links to forms below).
2) Course or curriculum change or addition for any program that leads to Teacher Certification under the rules of Board of Regents and the Professional Standards Commission of Georgia must be approved by the Teacher Education Committee.
3) Graduate course or curriculum change or addition must be approved by the Committee on Graduate Affairs. Course additions and changes are final when approved by committee, but most curriculum additions and changes must be approved by all levels of review.
4) Undergraduate course or curriculum change or addition must be approved by the Committee on Academic Affairs. Course additions and changes are final when approved by committee, but most curriculum additions and changes must be approved by all levels of review.
5) Curriculum change or addition must be approved by the GSW Faculty Senate.
6) Curriculum change or addition must be approved by the General Faculty
7) New academic degrees, majors, or changes to the name of degree programs must be submitted to the Board of Regents for approval, and additions to GSW’s core curriculum must be submitted to the University System of Georgia General Education Council.
The academic forms below are available in Rich Text Format; users should be able to save copies of these forms to their computers, title them appropriately, type in the required information, print forms, and then subsequently revise the forms as needed. Forms should be submitted to committees following the guidelines established by each committee. At least one signed hard copy of each form should be submitted for all required committees; after approvals are secured, programs should also submit electronic copies of the form(s) to the registrar.
Course Outline Template
(requests for revised courses must be accompanied by both the existing course outline and a revised course outline)
Course Outline Template
(requests for new courses must be accompanied by a course outline)
Requests for new degree programs also require University System of Georgia approval, while requests for new minor or certificate programs only require USG notification