The browser you are using is out of date and may not support all of the features of this website. Please update your browser to a modern browser that supports HTML5.
Georgia Southwestern State University is a senior unit of the University System of Georgia. The University was founded in 1906 as the Third District Agricultural and Mechanical School. In 1926, it was granted a charter authorizing the school to offer two years of college work and to change the name to Third District Agricultural and Normal College. The name was changed to Georgia Southwestern College in 1932, at which time it was placed under the jurisdiction of the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia. In 1964, the College became a senior unit of the University System, conferring its first baccalaureate degrees in June of 1968. Graduate work was added to the curriculum in June of 1973. In July 1996, the Board of Regents authorized state university status, and the institution became Georgia Southwestern State University.
Georgia Southwestern State University is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award associate, baccalaureate, master's, and specialist degrees. Contact the Commission and Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097, or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Georgia Southwestern State University.
The School of Education is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (2010 Massachusetts Ave NW, Suite 500, Washington, D.C. 20036, telephone number 202-466-7496) and all initial teacher education programs are recognized and approved by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission (http://www.gapsc.com).
The Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing is fully accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (3343 Peachtree Road, NE, Suite 500, Atlanta, GA 30326; 404.975.5000) and has the full approval of the Georgia Board of Nursing (237 Coliseum Drive, Macon, GA 31217-3858; 478-207-1300 or 1640).
The School of Business Administration is accredited by AACSB International - The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. AACSB accreditation is the hallmark of excellence in business education and has been earned by less than five percent of the world's business schools. AACSB International is located at 777 South Harbor Island Boulevard, Suite 750, Tampa, FL 33602-5730 USA, telephone number 813-769-6500 and fax number 813-769-6559 (www.aacsb.edu).