The James Earl Carter Library of Georgia Southwestern State University was designated a selective Federal Depository Library in 1966. As such, the library receives publications in hardcopy, microform, and electronic formats from most federal government agencies. The library currently owns more than 300,000 government publications that have been selected to serve the information needs of the students and faculty of the University as well as the citizens of the second U.S. Congressional district of Georgia.
In the past few years, an increasing number of publications have been discontinued in print format and are now accessible only on World Wide Web sites. Many of these are represented by GIL catalog records which have hyperlinks to government web pages. A significant amount of information is available on web sites that are not cataloged. Even the most experienced researcher needs an Internet map to navigate the myriad of online databases produced by the U.S. government. This is a guide to online resources that addresses the needs of the depository constituency.
There are more than 100,000 records for government books and periodicals in GIL, our online catalog of library holdings. Print documents circulate unless they are periodicals or reference resources. If members of the community who are not associated with the University wish to check out government publications, special arrangements can be made through a reciprocal borrowers agreement with Lake Blackshear Regional Library.
The Library also provides access to Kurzweil assistive technology. If you have questions or problems, please use the contact information below or see someone at the Library Service Desk.
Reference Librarian/ Government Information
Tishana N. Andrews
Reference / Documents Assistant
Federal Government: Search Engines and Major Directories
- Federal Depository Library Program Federal Depository Library Program (FDLP)(http://www.fdlp.gov/)
- Google Uncle Sam (Use Google to search .gov and .mil sites) (http://www.unclesamsearch.com/)
- USA.gov (US Government's official web portal) (http://www.usa.gov/)
- FDsys (Government Printing Office resource page) (http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/)
- THOMAS (Legislation information on the Internet) (http://www.thomas.loc.gov)
- GPO Catalog of U.S. Government Publications (search for government documents published from 1994- ) (http://catalog.gpo.gov/F)
- GovEngine.com (http://www.govengine.com) more than 180 pages of links to federal, state, local, etc government pages
- FINDLAW (find laws, court cases, etc.) (http://www.findlaw.com)
Federal Government: Legislative and Regulatory Information
Other Resources of Interest
International and Foreign Information