Georgia Southwestern State University strives to maintain a healthy workplace and campus environment for all staff, students, faculty and visitors. For that reason, GSW generally discourages tobacco use. No smoking or other use of tobacco is permitted in any building on campus at any time. GSW expects all staff, faculty, students and visitors to adhere to this policy:
- No use of tobacco is permitted in any building at anytime. Those who violate this policy may be subject to disciplinary action.
- Smoking and other use of tobacco is permitted 25 feet from each building on campus in the designated areas.
- Individuals who choose to smoke in designated areas must extinguish their cigarettes completely and dispose of them responsibly in the canisters which have been designated for that purpose. Individuals who use other forms of tobacco must also dispose of tobacco and residuals by placing them in trash cans. Leaving cigarette butts or spitting tobacco or tobacco-related substances on sidewalks is unacceptable and may result in further restrictions on tobacco use on campus.
- Violations of this policy will incur serious disciplinary penalties. The lives, health, and safety of everyone on campus are at risk, along with the potential for grave damage to the GSW campus, which includes the buildings and sidewalks.
These regulations are intended to limit the potential adverse effects of secondhand smoke, to provide a tobacco-free environment in all Georgia Southwestern State University buildings and facilities, and to ensure compliance with the provisions of the Georgia Clean Air Act.
- "Tobacco" means cigarettes, cigars, cheroots, stogies, and periquels; granulated, plug cut, crimp cut, ready rubbed, and other smoking tobacco; snuff and snuff flour; Cavendish; plug and twist tobacco; fine-cut and other chewing tobacco; shorts, refuse scraps, clippings, cuttings, and sweepings of tobacco; and other kinds and forms of tobacco, prepared in such manner as to be suitable for chewing or for smoking in a cigarette, pipe, or otherwise, or both for chewing and smoking. "Tobacco" also includes cloves and any other plant matter or product that is packaged for smoking.
- "Smoking" means the burning of a lighted cigarette, cigar, pipe, or any other device, matter or substance that contains tobacco.
- There shall be no sale of tobacco in any Georgia Southwestern State University building, facility, or anywhere on the University campus.
- There shall be no smoking or other use of tobacco products in any buildings, facilities or motor vehicles owned, leased or operated by Georgia Southwestern State University. "Buildings" and "facilities" shall include, but not be limited to, hallways, classrooms, residence halls, offices, restrooms, meeting rooms, lobbies, elevators, shops, cafeterias, snack bars, waiting rooms, indoor athletic facilities and performance halls, and all other spaces in buildings and facilities.
- In addition, there shall be no smoking in or within one hundred (100) feet of open-air athletic facilities on the GSW campus, such as the baseball/softball/soccer fields and tennis courts.
- All members of the University community and visitors to the campus are responsible for compliance with this policy. Violation of this policy may result in disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment, expulsion from the University, or removal from residence halls.