|Georgia Southwestern State University welcomes students from all over the world. We look forward to you becoming part of our academic community. Below are the additional items needed for International Students hoping to complete a graduate degree at Southwestern. The process for students who have never attended a US institution is slightly different than the process for those International students who are currently attending another school in the US. Read and follow the steps carefully. If you need help, please feel free to contact our office at 800-338-0082 or firstname.lastname@example.org.|
Printable International Admission Process
1. Submit your completed application with $25.00 non-refundable application fee, a recent photograph and an immunization form (provided by the University). To expedite the process, you may submit your graduate application online. You must use a credit card to apply online.
2. Submit all information needed for the graduate program in which you hope to participate. The following additions or alternations to the process are needed.
3. Submitting official transcripts:
● Those currently in the US:
■ Those enrolled or who have completed a degree in a US college, submit official transcripts from each college or technical school attended. If currently enrolled, send preliminary transcript now and final transcript upon completion of term. If you also attended a college outside of the US, follow instructions below for sending college transcripts from schools outside of the US.
● Those currently outside of the US:
■ Submit official copies of all college transcripts. You must submit certified English translations of original transcripts for each institution attended. In addition, you must also submit your transcripts to an Evaluation Service and have an original evaluation sent directly to us. Please send the final evaluation report to:
Office of Graduate Admission
800 GSW State University Dr.
Americus, GA 31709
We only accept evaluations from Josef Silny & Associates, Inc. and American Association of Collegiate Registrars and the Admissions Officers (AACRAO)
Josef Silny & Associates, Inc. (preferred)
International Educational Consultants
7101 SW 102 Avenue
Miami, FL 33173
Ph: (305) 273-1616
Fax: (305) 273-1338
Translation fax: (305) 273-1984
Office of International Education Services
American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO)
One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite #520
Washington, DC 20036-1135
3. Submit official test scores:
● If you are attending or have gradated from a secondary school and college outside of the US, submit an official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score report or IELTS scores. The minimum TOEFL requirement for admission to Georgia Southwestern State University is 523 on the written test, 193 on the computer test, and 69 on the internet based test. The minimum IELTS score is a 6.5 for regular admission.
No application will be considered until all of the above items and your are received. All items must be received before the deadline for teh program in which you are applying. If you are accepted to the University, you will be notified by mail or you may check the status of your application at: http://gsw.edu/Admissions/Status.
Required Academic Transcripts: All documents (each page) must bear the original attestation of the issuing institution. Marksheets must list the name of the course.
U.S. Bachelor’s Equivalency: A three-year bachelor’s degree is not equivalent to the U.S. bachelor’s degree. A four-year bachelor’s degree, a three-year bachelor’s plus a master’s degree, or a three-year’s plus completion of first year of the master’s program from a recognized institution by the Association of Indian University (AIU) or All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) are equivalent to the U.S. bachelor degree.
Once accepted, you must submit the following items before the SEVIS I-20 will be issued to obtain your student VISA. These items can not be dated more the 90 days before the beginning of the semester for which you are admitted.
1. Submit an official Foreign Student Financial Statement provided by GSW, submit a notarized (signed and stamped by a notary) copy of the Affidavit for Financial Support provided by GSW, and an official letter from the bank or financial institution stating that you and/or your sponsor have available funds. This letter must be written on official color letterhead in English and signed by a bank official showing the date the account was opened, currency used, and amount that is currently in the account. Submit an official conversion of currency to U.S. dollars.
2. A deposit in the amount of $1000 must be sent. Checks or money orders should be made payable to Georgia Southwestern State University. The deposit should be mailed directly to the Business Office, Georgia Southwestern State University, 800 Georgia Southwestern State University Drive, Americus, GA 31709. This deposit is refundable to the student should the student decide not to attend.
3. Students transferring/graduating from another institution within the US must submit an Transfer Clearance From provided by GSW.
4. Students transferring their I-20 from a college or high school in the US must also submit copies of their current I-20, passport, visa, and I-94.
Each international student must obtain and maintain health/accident insurance from the university. Click here to view the rates and additional information about the insurance program or go to our Health Center website..
Upon receipt of the tuition deposit, the SEVIS I-20 will be mailed to the student. Each international student should be aware that they are responsible for locating their own housing during vacation periods and breaks between academic terms if they are not living in one of Southwestern's 12-month residence halls.
PLEASE NOTE: All international students enrolling in Georgia Southwestern State University for the first time are required to have a Tuberculosis screening testing & questionnaire – within 10 days of arrival to the GSW campus. Positive PPD tests are required to have a follow-up chest X-ray within 2 weeks.
Southwestern Tuition and Fees for Non Residents