The Master of Science in Nursing is an online degree offered cooperatively by Georgia Southwestern State University (GSW) and Columbus State University (CSU), both fully accredited institutions in the University System of Georgia. This consortium allows students to enjoy resources from both schools. The 36-38 hour program prepares professional registered nurses for advanced practice nursing roles as culturally competent educators, leaders, and informaticists.
All students enrolled in the program are required to take graduate core courses. The educator and leadership track have six (6) core courses and the informatics track has five (5) core courses. Additionally, students are required to select a concentration of nursing education, nursing leadership, or nursing informatics. Eighteen (18) credit hours are required in the education and leadership concentration and twenty one (21) in the informatics concentration. Included in each of these tracks is a 3 hour thesis or focused project.
The nursing education concentration focuses on preparing nurses to facilitate learning in various environments through the application of knowledge in instructional design, curriculum development, technology utilization, and evaluation of learning.
The leadership concentration focuses on developing nursing leaders who are able to influence, design, mange, transform, and evaluate the evolution of nursing services and care delivery.
The informatics concentration focuses on preparing nurses to become proficient in health information technology and essential informatics competencies to function within patient care environments.
The completed application packet, including all supporting documentation, must be received by the Office of Graduate Admissions by the deadline for each term. Completed applications that are received by the preferred deadline will be given priority review. Contact the Office of Graduate Admissions with questions. Applicants may apply for admission any semester. The procedure for application consists of:
- Graduate application for admission
- $25.00 nonrefundable application fee
- Official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended
- Three letters of reference
- Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores (scores must be within five years prior to application)
- Immunization form (before enrollment)
- Documentation of Lawful Presence (before enrollment, if applying for in-state tuition)
Regular Admission (without conditions)
To be admitted without condition a student must meet the following criteria:
- Completed application for admission and a $25.00 processing fee.
- Two official copies of transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work previously taken.
- A baccalaureate degree in nursing (BSN) from an regionally accredited college or university and a nationally accredited nursing program (NLNAC or CCNE) with a minimum grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Official copy of scores earned on the General Test of the Graduate Record Exam(GRE) with an acceptable score. The GRE requirement may be waived for applicants who have earned an advanced degree.
- Three (3) professional letters of recommendation that comment on the applicant’s potential for success in a graduate academic program.
- Current unencumbered RN license in the state where clinical course requirements will be met.
Regular Admission (with conditions)
A student failing to meet one or more of the standards required for admission without condition may be eligible for admission with condition for up to one semester under conditions specified at the time of admission, if space in the program is available. Students who fail to make progress under provisional admission will be withdrawn from the program.
Office of Graduate Admissions
Wheatley Administration Building
Georgia Southwestern State University
Attn: Graduate Admissions
800 GSW State University Drive
Americus, GA 31709