Note: All application materials must be sent together, including sealed reference forms essay, offical transcripts. If you are unable to send everything at once, your application may not be reviewed by the selection committee. A TEAS Score Report must be submitted along with your application and supporting materials. We encourage you to start the application process at least 6-8 weeks prior to the deadline. This will give us sufficient time to process your application.
• Program Application
• Two (2) Completed Reference forms
a. Reference forms must be received by Student Services Coordinator in a sealed envelope signed by the author. (All references must be given on the official School of Nursing reference form. Letters will not be accepted.
b. At least one reference should be from a recent faculty member, if applicable; or other instructors and/or work supervisors with whom you have been in contact over the past two years. Additionally, no reference forms will be accepted that are written by a relative of the applicant.
• Copy of Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) Score Report
TEAS Exam must be completed within one year of application deadline date. Applicants are expected to score a minimum proficiency catefory on the ATI TEAS within three attempts. Please see the School of Nursing web site or contact the Student Services Coordinator for testing dates. Applicants are responsible for submitting their exam scores to the School of Nursing Student Coordinators office. Score reports may be retrieved from the applicants ATI account.
• GSW Nursing Essay
Submit an essay that includes each of the following criteria (typewritten, double spaced, maximum 2 pages, with name of applicant on each page)
- What have you decided to pursue nursing as a profession?
- What is nursing’s biggest challenge today from your viewpoint?
- How are you best suited to meet the educational challenges of successfully completing a nursing degree at Georgia Southwestern State University?
- Tell us something unique about you.
Part#2-An outcome of the School of Nursing is for nurses to assume responsibility for personal and professional behaviors.
- Discuss the importance of these behaviors in terms of your student life and your future career
The essay will be evaluated based on topic, organization and logical flow of ideas, grammar, spelling, and sentence structure.
• Professional Resume or Curriculum Vitae
OTHER requirements and suggestions
• Verification of GSW Acceptance
The School of Nursing at Georgia Southwestern State University uses a two-tier process system for admission to its BSN programs. It is the applicant’s responsibility to apply and be ACCEPTED by the University prior to applying to the School of Nursing.
• Transfer students only
Transcript evaluation must be on file with the School of Nursing.
The Admissions Office will notify the SON of your acceptance to GSW and will send us a transcript evaluation for your SON application file. It is important to start the admission process at least 6-8 weeks prior to School of Nursing application deadline, to ensure all admission requirements have been met.
2nd Degree Program BSN applicants will need to submit college transcripts of all college/university course work not taken at GSW to the Student Services Coordinators office along with your application materials.
- The transcripts you submit to the School of Nursing will be separate from the official transcripts submitted to GSW Office of Admissions when you officially applied to the University.
- Official, unofficial, or xerox copies of transcripts will be sufficient to submit to the School of Nursing as part of your supporting materials for the Accelerated BSN application.
- If taking or in progression of pre-requisite courses at other institutions during the admission process, applicants must make note of what courses they are taking on their nursing application.
- Submit an official transcript verifying final course grades to Registrars office and an unofficial transcript verifying final course grades to the School of Nursing Student Services Coordinators office ASAP after completion.
• Program may require an interview.
Applicants who qualify for an interview will be contacted by the program’s admissions committee.
The SON Application Form and the required support documents must be received by the SON by the published application deadline via mail delivery (preferred method) , or FAX to:School of Nursing, Student Services CoordinatorrGeorgia Southwestern State University800 Georgia Southwestern State University DriveAmericus, GA 31709FAX: 229-931-2288
Frequently Asked Questions