The 2nd Degree Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) is for students who have a bachelor’s degree or higher in a non-nursing field of study.
This program builds on previous learning experiences and provides the quickest route for those with undergraduate degrees to transition into nursing. The program is approximately 18-24 months in length depending on your transfer status and needed pre-requisite course work.
The core and general education requirements met by the first degree are accepted by the University. The U.S. and Georgia History and Constitution Requirements of the University System of Georgia must be met by all second degree students who are admitted to the program prior to the senior year of coursework.
The Nursing program has full approval of the Georgia Board of Nursing (237 Coliseum Drive, Macon, GA 31217-3858; 478-207-1300 or 1640.) The program is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc., (formerly NLNAC, National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission, Inc.) (3343 Peachtree Road, NE, Suite 850, Atlanta, GA 30326, 404-975-5000.)
The first step is to apply to GSW as 2nd Degree Nursing Track and be accepted by the university.
GSW Admission: Please visit the Office of Admissions website
Upon acceptance to GSW, students are first enrolled as Pre-Nursing students. This allows the student to satisfy the Core curriculum requirements in the first two years of study. Application to the School of Nursing 2nd Degree program should occur during the last semester of the second year of full-time study at the University. Advisors for Pre-Nursing students are faculty of the SON giving the student guidance to follow their Model Plan of Study through to graduation.
2nd Degree BSN Program admission eligibility requirements:
- Attain admission in good standing to the University.
- Return the completed application and required supporting documents to the School of Nursing by the published deadlines.
- Must have a bachelor’s degree or higher from a recognized college or university with an overall GPA of 2.8 or higher. In addition to degree GPA, grades on courses in Area F and D as noted below will be considered with preference given to those with higher grades than minimum.
- Must have completed the following pre-requisites by program entry:
- Area F with grade of “C” or higher
- BIOL 2030 Anatomy and Physiology I *
- BIOL 2040 Anatomy and Physiology II*
- BIOL 2050 Microbiology*
- PSYC 2103 Human Growth and Development
- Area D with grade of “C” or higher
- MATH 2204 Elementary Statistics (or equivalent course)
* Testing is required for those applicants who completed these courses five (5)
years ago or longer. Remediation may be required.
- Successful completion of the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS V) exam within the past two years with a minimum score at or above the national average at the time of testing. Scores must be received before the application deadline. Information and study guide are available at www.ATItesting.com. If testing at a site other than GSW, please select Georgia Southwestern State University when sending scores.
- Must not have been excluded from another nursing program for any reason, including but not limited to, academic misconduct, disruptive behavior, or program failure. A nursing course failure in another institution counts as a failure in this institution.
It may not be possible to admit all students who meet the minimum requirements for admission. If there are more qualified applicants than positions available in a nursing class, selection for admission will be based upon the following:
- ATI - Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) - results
- Availability of space in clinical sites
- Availability of faculty resources
- Grade Point Average - greater than the minimum of 2.8
- Grades in Science courses - minimum of B is preferred
- Patterns of withdrawal from courses/schools
- Grades of Ds and/or Fs
- Written communication ability
TOEFL Exam Scores: The official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) test scores are required for applicants whose first language is not English. Exemption from the TOEFL requirement is allowed for undergraduate students who complete courses equivalent to English Composition I and II at a regionally accredited United States college or university and earn at least a “C” on the courses.
Transfer students only:
- Upon applicant’s acceptance to GSW, a letter of acceptance and transcript evaluation will be available to the SON. These documents must be on file in GSW office of admissions and are required before the Admission & Progression Committee can review the SON application.
- If applicant is taking or in progression of courses at other institutions during the admission process, applicants must make note of what courses they are taking on their nursing application.
- Applicant must submit an official transcript verifying final course grades to Registrars office and an unofficial transcript verifying final course grades to the School of Nursing Student Services Coordinators office ASAP after completion.
There are two types of admission in the School of Nursing:
Conditional acceptance is conferred until completion of the following:
- Students taking core classes spring or summer must submit final grades to the SON immediately at end of semester showing the core has been satisfactorily completed and student GPA maintained.
- Students must return the Reservation Form along with required signed documents that they will receive in their SON acceptance packet by the indicated deadline.
- The CertifiedBackground package described in that packet must be purchased and the required documents uploaded and approved by the indicated deadline.
(Failure to do any of the above will result in the conditional acceptance status being revoked and student will have to reapply for admission during another cycle.)
Full acceptance is granted when all of the above requirements have been met.
Review of applications by the Admission Committee will take place shortly after the application deadline. Applicants will be notified of their acceptance status approximately one month from the application deadline.
All SON application materials should be sent together (including application form, sealed reference forms, and essay) by the application deadline. Incomplete application packets may delay review by the Admission & Progression Committee.
2nd Degree Program Application Deadlines
|January 15||February 15|
|Attention transfer students: Your SON application will require a transcript evaluation so be sure to apply early to the university so that this document can be completed before the deadline.|
The SON application form and the required support documents must be received by the SON by the published application deadline via mail or personal delivery to:
School of Nursing
Student Services Coordinator
Georgia Southwestern State University
800 Georgia Southwestern State University Drive
Americus, GA 31709
2nd Degree BSN Application Instructions and Checklist (printable)
2nd Degree BSN Program Application Form (printable)
Reference Form for BSN Admission (printable)
2nd Degree BSN Curriculum Sheet (printable)
2nd Degree Model Plan of Study (printable)
Fall 2013 Pre-licensure Nursing Student Handbook (printable)
TEAS Test GSW Reservation (Link)
Preview Day (Link)
GSW Undergraduate Bulletin (Link)