Georgia Southwestern State University School of Nursing offers an excellent opportunity for a select number of exceptional high school students accepted to GSW who are interested in nursing.
GAP assures eligible students a place in our nursing program contingent upon fulfilling certain requirements. GAP students are considered an important part of the pre-nursing program and as such are invited to join in activities held by GSWANS (GSW Association of Nursing Students). GSWANS is a great way to get to know your fellow students and faculty. The School of Nursing also hosts a special meet and greet reception to help GAP students assimilate into nursing at GSW.
Admission to nursing programs is extremely competitive across the country. Students who choose to begin their college career at GSW are given the opportunity to apply for the GAP. Selection will be determined using high school GPA, SAT/ACT scores, two references and a one page Personal Statement Essay.
The minimum requirements to be considered for the School of Nursing’s Guaranteed Acceptance Program (GAP) are below. The early action deadline is February 1st. Students meeting this deadline will have priority on GAP admittance.
The application deadline is April 1,2015
To apply for the Guaranteed Acceptance Program, please submit the following:
- Completed GAP Application Form
- One page Personal Statement Essay- highlighting unique characteristics and abilities of self, explanation of personal interest in healthcare as a profession, and any personal life events that have prompted interest in a nursing career. Limit essay to one page; longer essays may negatively impact your application.
- Two academic references. One should be from a high school science teacher.
- Have Freshman Index (FI) of 2440 or greater.
- The formulas to determine the student’s admission status are:
- Freshman Index based on SAT scores: FI=High School Academic GPA x 500 + SAT Critical Reading + SAT Math
- Freshman Index based on ACT scores: FI=High School Academic GPA x 500 + (ACT composite X 42) + 88
While completing the core curriculum at GSW, GAP students will be advised by a faculty member of the SON. This gives the student a mentor and helps them navigate the core so that they are on track for entrance to the SON for the summer or fall admission cycle.
Students admitted to the GAP are required to meet the same requirements while at GSW before beginning the nursing program as other students applying to the SON, but GAP students are given priority over any other applicants.
- Maintain continual fulltime enrollment in good standing with GSW between enrollment to the university and entrance to the nursing program.
- Meet all GSW School of Nursing enrollment requirements and begin nursing program within 5 semesters (not including summer semesters) from university entrance.
- Return the GAP Verification Form and any required supporting documents to the School of Nursing by the published deadlines for the Traditional BSN Program.
- Complete all general education/ core curriculum courses.
- Must lack no more than a three hour elective in Area F.
- Must have a grade of “C” or higher in Area A, Area D, and Area F.
- Earned an overall Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0/4.0. Admission is competitive. A GPA of 3.0 does not guarantee admission. Calculation of GPA is based on grades in Area A, Area D, and Area F. If any of the applicable courses have been repeated, all attempts are included in this calculation.
- Successful completion of the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS V) exam within the past two years with a minimum score of 70.0%. Scores must be received before the application deadline. Information and study guide are available at www.ATItesting.com. If testing at a site other than GSW, please select Georgia Southwestern State University when sending scores.
High school seniors admitted to GSW as Beginning Freshmen who do not meet the GAP requirements or who are denied admission to the GAP Program will still be listed as “pre-nursing” majors and will apply to the School of Nursing during their sophomore year at GSW.
GAP students planning to take transient courses must have courses pre-approved by SON faculty.
- The first step is to apply to GSW and be accepted to the University as a GAP student.
- The second step is to apply to the School of Nursing.