As a teacher education candidate, advisement plays an important role in the success of the pacing and planning of your program. It is important candidates meet with his/her assigned advisor a minimum of once per semester. It is each candidate’s responsibility to schedule an appointment, and to remain knowledgeable about the requirements of his/her program. It is most important candidates meet with advisors prior to registration each semester to assist in meeting important application deadlines, as well as registering for necessary courses. Two applications which are necessary in the progression of the teacher education candidate are the Application for Admission into the Teacher Education Program and the Application for Eligibility for Student Teaching.
►Application for Admission into the Teacher Education Program
Specific requirements must be met in order to be accepted into the Teacher Education Program. Each advisor is to initial that each requirement is met prior to submission.
The minimum requirements to Admission into the Teacher Education Program are:
- Completion of EDUC 2110 (Investigating Issues in Education), EDUC 2120 (Exploring Diversity in Education), and EDUC 2130 (Exploring Learning and Teaching), or approved substitutions with a grade of “C” or higher in each course.
- Completion of at least 50 semester hours of the General Core Curriculum (Areas A-F) with a minimum GPA of 2.5 (This can include the semester hours the candidate is enrolled in at the time of application. End of semester grades are reviewed to verify admission and further enrollment eligibility.)
- Completion of COMM 1110 (Fundamentals of Speech) with a grade of “C” or higher.
- Completion of the Humanities component of the core with a minimum grade point average of 2.25.
- Completion or exemption of the GACE Basic Skills/Praxis I requirement
- Completed application and autobiography attached
- Current advisor’s transcript and updated curriculum sheet attached
Application for Teacher Education (GSW Campus)
Application for Teacher Education (ABAC)
These are the minimum requirements for admission to teacher education. All requirements must be met for admission and eligibility to enroll in 3000 - 4000 level educator preparation courses.
CANDIDATES MUST BE ADMITTED INTO THE TEACHER EDUCATION PROGRAM TO ENROLL IN UPPER DIVISION COURSES