The Bachelor of Arts in English is a literature intensive program that allows considerable flexibility for students to choose their major classes. Additionally, students have free elective hours and a minor built into the degree requirements, a benefit for those who want the freedom to tailor their education to varied interests or professional goals. The curriculum easily allows for students to complete a certificate program to complement their major interests. This degree, as do all English programs, requires two classes of a modern language at an intermediate level.
Selected Educational Objectives
- Write for a variety of audiences while demonstrating writing proficiency and fluency in various contexts;
- Effectively communicate orally for a variety of audiences and purposes;
- Demonstrate an awareness of literary, rhetorical and linguistic approaches to the field.
Examples of Outcome Assessments
- Faculty will assess student's portfolios that span work completed while in the program.
- Faculty will assess senior research projects for both written and oral proficiency.