You are encouraged to use the resources provided to you in order to make the most of your stay at GSW. A sample of services available to you are listed below:
- Academic Skills - The Academic Skills Center offers students assistance with college survival skills by providing informative classes, workshops, and one-on-one counseling. The Center, located in the nursing building is also equipped with a computer center, study booths, tutorial classrooms, a high-tech classroom, and a conference room for student use.
- Advisors - Your advisor is a valuable contact who can assist you in selecting the courses you need to complete your degree, tracking your academic progress and advising you on the options you have to meet degree requirements. You are encouraged to meet with your advisor at least once a semester.
- Bulletin – The Georgia Southwestern State University Bulletin is a valuable source of information containing academic policy, degree requirements, course descriptions, etc. The bulletin is updated annually and is posted online. It is recommended that you become familiar with the contents relevant to your degree and refer to it as needed.
- Campus Safety - The department of Campus Safety is an accredited law enforcement agency responsible for the protection of life and property on Georgia Southwestern State University campus. Divisions within the department include Administration, Patrol, Support Staff, and Training. The department operates 24 hours a day 365 days a year. Their services include: campus patrol, escorts, incident reporting, event security, vehicle assistance, traffic/parking enforcement, vehicle registration, safety programs, and criminal investigation. You may contact campus safety at (229) 928-1390.
- Career Services – Located in the Health Center, Career Services offers a variety of services to Georgia Southwestern State University students. Students can find out the latest on and off campus job listing, practice interviewing skills and take career assessment tests.
- Computer Labs – There several computer labs across the campus of Georgia Southwestern. Most labs are available to general students while others are designated for students of a specific major. Refer to the link above for operating hours, locations and user policies.
- Counseling Services – Counseling services is designed to assist students in becoming successful and productive throughout their college experience and beyond. Services include: personal counseling, social counseling, academic counseling, crisis intervention, conflict mediation and group therapy.
- Curriculum Sheets – Students may view and print curriculum sheets by major from RAIN. Curriculum sheets allow a student to keep track of their academic progress and any outstanding graduation requirements.
- Health Services – Georgia Southwestern State University has a health center on campus to assist students with any medical needs necessary. The health center staffs qualified nurses and a part-time physician. Visit the link above for more information about their services, which include immunizations, women’s health, and travel health.
- Instructors: Contact your instructor anytime you are experiencing difficulty in a class. Instructors are usually willing to work with students who are struggling or make arrangements for other types of academic assistance such as a tutor, extended time, etc. (These options are solely at the discretion of the instructor.)
- Multicultural and Minority Affairs - The office of Multicultural and Minority Affairs is available to assist you in the fostering of your overall personal and academic endeavors through the development and implementation of diversity and multicultural programs and activities.
- RAIN – RAIN allows students to access their class schedules, midterm and final grades, transcript, financial aid, and statement of accounts. Contact the Registrar’s Office if you need assistance accessing RAIN.
- Weathervane – The Weathervane refers to the Georgia Southwestern State University Student Handbook. This publication includes information pertaining to student organizations, resources, judicial policies and much more! Pick a copy up at the Office of Student Life in the Marshall Student Center or check it out on the web.
- Web – The GSW homepage allows to students to link to numerous resources. Students can access a faculty/staff/departmental directory, academic calendar, GSW bulletin, course catalog, faculty web pages, student forms, Web CT, RAIN and more!
- Other Links
Surf the web and ask around to find more information about resources available to GSW students!!!