Americus is a small city located in the southwest part of Georgia (in the southeastern part of the United States). The weather is hot and humid in the summer and cool and dry during the winter. The average daytime temperature during the summer is about 85-90 degrees Fahrenheit (28-32 degrees Celsius) and 55-60 degrees (12-15 degrees) in the winter. Light coats are usually sufficient for winters in southwest Georgia. Shirts with short sleeves and short pants are most comfortable for summer.
We suggest bringing the following items with you:
- Comfortable clothing—Students usually dress casually in class.
- Formal clothes—There may be times when you will need to dress up.
- Clothes, pictures, books, and souvenirs from your country—These items are helpful when you want to share information about your native country.
- Medical records
- Extra glasses or contact lenses
- Favorite books, tapes, videos, CDs
- Pictures of family and friends
- Sheets, blankets, and/or comforters
- Telephone card—So you can call home easily.
Many items can be easily purchased once you arrive in Americus. These items include:
· Towels, Washcloths
· Bed linens, pillows, blankets, etc.
· Mattress pad or cover
· Laundry Basket, detergent, bleach, etc.
|· Trash can|
· Clothes hangers
· Alarm clocks
· Clothes hamper
· Decorative items for room
NOTE: Your first month may be costly if you need to purchase items to help you settle into your new home.
It is recommended that you make several copies of all travel documents. This includes all I-20s you’ve been issued (from every school you have attended) and the pages in your passport showing your picture, birth date, passport number, expiration dates, visa and I-94 card. Keep one set of copies in your carry-on luggage, one set in your checked baggage and leave a set at home preferably with someone who can send them to you if needed. Be sure to keep the original documents with you!
It is a good idea to have your name, home address and an American address (Georgia Southwestern State University, 800 Wheatley St., Americus, GA 31709) in all of your bags. It is also a good idea to pack a change of clothes in your carry-on bags in case your other bags are lost.
You may find that it is easier to mail some items to the U.S. Once you arrive at GSW, you can have someone mail your package to your new U.S. address. You may send packages by air or ship. Packages sent by air are usually more expensive, however the package should arrive in 1-2 weeks. Packages sent by ship are less expensive and generally arrive within 1-3 months. This is a good way to send clothes for the next season. For example, if you will arrive at GSW in August, you may consider sending your winter clothes by mail.