With the implementation of SEVIS, it is imperative that you report any changes of your personal information to your DSO. Immigration regulations require you to report changes such as your name and address to your DSO WITHIN 10 DAYS of the change. Failure to do so will cause you to fall out of status. It is your responsibility to notify your ADSO/DSO and the Registrar’s Office of these changes.
How do I change my address?
To report a change of address, please complete the Change of Student Information Form, which can be found at the Registrar’s Office or downloaded from RAIN. Please present the completed form to your ADSO/DSO before submitting it to the Registrar’s Office.
When using the Change of Student Information Form, you will notice that the form requests three types of addresses: Permanent address, Mailing address, and Emergency address. Please use the following guide to complete the form:
- Your permanent address is the address in your home country (outside of the United States). Please complete the address as completely as possible in English. *As an F-1 student, you MUST maintain a foreign address.*
- Your mailing address is your local address in the United States. This is the address we will use to contact you.
- If you use a Post Office (PO) box, please be sure to include your PO box number as well as a physical address. (For example, if your mail is sent to PO Box 9999, you will also need to include where your house located (your physical address): 123 Hurricane Way, Americus, GA 31709). SEVIS requires a physical address in addition to any Post Office Box.
- If you use a GSW box to receive your mail, be sure to list your dormitory and room number!
- Your emergency contact should be the person who can be contacted in the event of an emergency. This person should be a friend or family member.
How do I change my name?
If you have changed your name (example: if you have been married/divorced, etc) you will need to use the Change of Student Information Form to report the change to Georgia Southwestern State University. You will need to present one of the following documents that already reflect the change of name as proof: marriage certificate, driver’s license, social security card, or divorce decree.
How do I change my student ID number?
Upon admittance to GSW, you were assigned a Student ID number. This number is printed on your Student ID card and used for all your university related records. The only time this number is changed is when you are issued a United States Social Security Card. Your social security number will replace the generated student ID number. Please complete the Change of Student Information Form and present your social security card in order to make the change.
How do I change my major?
The I-20 issued to you upon admittance to Georgia Southwestern State University states your field of study. In order to comply with the terms of your F-1 visa status you must pursue the course of study listed on your I-20. If you choose a different major field of study, you must contact your DSO to discuss the procedure and effects of changing your major during your course of study in the United States.
In most cases, a new I-20 will be issued to reflect the change of major. Remember, you are responsible for completing the Change of Major/Advisor form found in the Registrar’s Office or downloaded from RAIN. This form must be signed by your current advisor, and then presented to the school/department of your newly chosen field-of-study where a new advisor will be assigned to you. The completed form must be returned to the Registrar’s Office, Sanford Hall, room 210.
How do I change programs within this University?
If you choose to change from an Asian Studies Program to a Bachelor program, or Bachelor program to a Graduate program, you must apply for admission to that program. If you are admitted into the program, you will need to bring all of your immigration documents to your new DSO so that a new I-20 can be issued.
How do I transfer to another school?
As an F-1 Student, you are permitted to transfer to a different school provided the transfer procedure is followed. To transfer, you MUST notify your Georgia Southwestern State University DSO of your intent to transfer to another institution within the United States. Your DSO will assist you with any required paperwork. NOTE: Failure to complete the transfer process is a violation of your F-1 Status.
How do I renew my visa?
If you need to get your F-1 visa renewed or if you need to apply for an F-1 visa, you should contact the US Embassy/Consulate in the country where you are traveling BEFORE you travel. Be sure to find out what documents are required and how long the process may take. Note: Please be aware of the long delays affecting the visa application process. Be sure to plan ahead to avoid serious delays!
- You may want to contact the visa processing office at the Department of State for more information. You may call them at 603-334-0700 or click here to visit their website.
- If you need a verification of enrollment or a GSW transcript, you may request one from the Registrar’s Office. Remember to plan ahead as there is a 24-48 processing time on both documents.
- If you do receive a new visa, be sure to report to your DSO when you return to campus. A copy of your new visa will need to be placed in your student record.
F-1 VISAS CANNOT BE RENEWED WITHIN THE U.S.
How do I renew my passport?
Consult your own consulate or embassy in the U.S. to renew your passport. The consulate/embassy officials will inform you of any required forms or fees. If you are required to supply a letter verifying your enrollment at GSW, you may request verification from the Registrar’s Office.