Following these guidelines will help you maintain your status as F-1 Student in the United States.
- Maintain a valid passport at all times.
- Attend the university that the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration has authorized by stamping your I-20 when you entered the U.S., or by being notified of your transfer to another school.
- Register and complete a full course of study (12 hours for undergraduates or 9 hours for graduates) each regular semester (Fall and Spring).
- Apply with your Designated School Official (DSO) promptly for an extension of stay if you are unable to complete your program of study by the completion date on your I-20.
- Apply with your Designated School Official (DSO) for proper documentation to notify USCIS of a change of education level and/or a change in major.
- Do not change schools without first contacting your Designated School Official (DSO) for proper documentation.
- Do not engage in any employment without proper authorization.
- Limit on-campus employment to 20 hours per week while school is in session.
- Report a change of address to the ADSO or Designated School Official (DSO) and the Registrar’s Office within 10 days of the change.
- Carry approved health insurance coverage.
- Obey all state and federal laws.
- File the proper tax forms by April 15th of each year. All F-1 students must complete IRS form 8843 regardless of income.
- Request travel documents from an ADSO or DSO before leaving the U.S. (You must allow at least 2 business days for processing)
It is the responsibility of the F-1 International Student to remain informed of changing immigration regulations and maintaining his/her status.