How do I become a part of GSW’s TRiO SSS Program?
You Apply! Each year, the GSW’s TRiO SSS office meets face to face or identifies admitted students who meet SSS program requirements. SSS does this in partnership with the Offices of Financial Aid, Registrar, Disability Services, and Admissions. These students then complete an application for the program. SSS serves only 155 GSW students each year by providing them with academic, social, and cultural support throughout college. This is a voluntary support service; thus, only by returning a completed application in a timely fashion do you have the opportunity to secure a place in the GSW TRiO SSS program. By applying to SSS, you will be taking a giant step toward assuring your success at Georgia Southwestern State University. Contact us for an eligibility appointment today at 229.931.2294 or email us at email@example.com.
What are the eligibility requirements to be a part of TRiO SSS?
TRiO Student Support Service programs are designed to serve undergraduate college students who meet specific program requirements. To be eligible for admission to GSW’s SSS program, students must be enrolled as an undergraduate at Georgia Southwestern State University, be a United States Citizen, have an academic need, and meet at least one of the following criteria:
Income Eligible: Each year, the U.S. Department of Education publishes guidelines which define low income based on family size. Click here for income guidelines.
2. First Generation College Student: First generation college students are defined as those whose parents or legal guardians have not completed a Bachelor’s degree (neither father, mother, nor legal guardian(s) has graduated from a four-year institution).
Disability: Disability refers to students with a physical or mental impairment which limits a major life activity. This includes learning disabilities. Such disabilities must be documented with the GSW Office of Disability Services.
What are the perks of being an TRiO SSS participant?
Some of the FREE services and programs we provide include:
- Individualized tutoring: SSS participants are eligible for free one-on-one tutoring in a variety of academic disciplines including Math, English, Science, History, Social Sciences, and Foreign Languages. SSS also provides tutoring in other areas if at all possible. The tutoring staff consists of undergraduate students who have successfully completed the courses they are tutoring.
- Assistance with the financial aid process: Each program participant is assigned an SSS coordinator who will sit down and assist with applications for financial aid, and assist in understanding award packages from GSW. Coordinators will also assist in identifying alternative forms of aid available to college students.
- Course selection assistance: SSS participants receive guidance in course selection from SSS staff.
- Variety of activities, events, and programs: SSS participants will have the opportunity to take advantage of a variety of cultural events and academic programs. Examples include:
- Cultural events-theatre tickets, concerts, dinner programs
- Academic workshops/programs-time management, stress reduction, test anxiety
- Computer workstations: As an SSS participant, you will be able to take advantage of our office computer work stations
- Personal one-on-one support from trained SSS professionals: Each SSS participant is assigned a coordinator who meets with the participant at least twice a semester to provide assistance.
If I am admitted into the TRiO SSS program, what are my responsibilities as a participant?
- Be proactive and ask for help when you need it.
- Maintain contact with GSW’s SSS staff and keep them accurately informed about your academic status.
Is the TRiO SSS program connected to Educational Talent Search and Upward Bound programs?
- Yes! All programs are funded by the same entity and serve the same populations but at different levels of student's academic career. If you were a member of any of the above listed programs, we highly encourage you to sign up for SSS today in order to continue your TRiO experience.
To apply to become a participant in Student Support Services, please submit an eligibility request to firstname.lastname@example.org.